Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

QS SUBJECT Rankings... They're out! watch

ReputationRep:
    Durham higher than Cambridge for theology.... again! Top 3 in the world! Ha screw you rejecting me! I'm going to somewhere better and I'm going to live in a castle <3 Oh also number 1 in the world for theological reputation- Higher than Harvard, Oxford, Yale, Princeton and Cambridge
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Sophtheelf)
    Durham higher than Cambridge for theology.... again! Top 3 in the world! Ha screw you rejecting me! I'm going to somewhere better and I'm going to live in a castle <3 Oh also number 1 in the world for theological reputation- Higher than Harvard, Oxford, Yale, Princeton and Cambridge
    Congrats . Are you actually going to be a member of University College? Well done!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wired_1800)
    Congrats . Are you actually going to be a member of University College? Well done!!!

Thank you so much! I'm over the moon And yes! I got a lowered offer of BBB as well! It's even better than Cambridge and I believe in Determinism They read my 15 page essay
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Sophtheelf)
    Thank you so much! I'm over the moon And yes! I got a lowered offer of BBB as well! It's even better than Cambridge and I believe in Determinism They read my 15 page essay
    Well done. Enjoy Durham.

ReputationRep:
    Are the QS rankings even taken seriously by anyone? They look a bit dodgy to me, frankly I've seen domestic league tables that look more genuine and I'm not a fan of them. QS looks like the 'joke' global ranking in the same way the Guardian is the 'joke' domestic league table.

I thought the only rankings anyone takes seriously anymore are the ARWU and the New York Times rankings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaskOfKeaton)
    Are the QS rankings even taken seriously by anyone? They look a bit dodgy to me, frankly I've seen domestic league tables that look more genuine and I'm not a fan of them.

I thought the only rankings anyone takes seriously anymore are the ARWU and the New York Times rankings.
    The only university rankings that are taken seriously are REF rankings that can determine funding for research.

Otherwise, the only ones that tend to care are unis that try to advertise their course through them e.g. No 1 for student satisfaction*
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by MaskOfKeaton)
    Are the QS rankings even taken seriously by anyone? They look a bit dodgy to me, frankly I've seen domestic league tables that look more genuine and I'm not a fan of them. QS looks like the 'joke' global ranking in the same way the Guardian is the 'joke' domestic league table.

Rankings become debateable when people disagree with it.

If you ask a Surrey or Lancaster student whether they like the Guardian rankings, where they are in the top 10 in the UK, or the QS rankings, where they are not even in the top 30 of the UK’s equivalent list; i guess they would go for the Guardian list.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wired_1800)
    Rankings become debateable when people disagree with it.

If you ask a Surrey or Lancaster student whether they like the Guardian rankings, where they are in the top 10 in the UK, or the QS rankings, where they are not even in the top 30 of the UK’s equivalent list; i guess they would go for the Guardian list.
    Student satisfaction goes a long way, and it's a questionable measure

An Imperial admissions tutor told us one of the bigwigs at the college was getting annoyed at Imperial's student satisfaction so they starting handing out compulsory survey forms, and since then, their satisfaction has gone up (this was after someone asked why Imperial's student satisfaction was so low -people who were annoyed were taking the surveys).

A lot of people at the top tier universities will complain - people will reference why Oxbridge isn't as bad, but I think their pastoral care is probably better, and they don't have to worry about the London debt, and (generally) the moving out of halls and into potentially more expensive, private accommodation. It's not something that LSE,UCL,ICL or KCL can easily rectify.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Kyber Ninja)
    Student satisfaction goes a long way, and it's a questionable measure

An Imperial admissions tutor told us one of the bigwigs at the college was getting annoyed at Imperial's student satisfaction so they starting handing out compulsory survey forms, and since then, their satisfaction has gone up (this was after someone asked why Imperial's student satisfaction was so low -people who were annoyed were taking the surveys).

A lot of people at the top tier universities will complain - people will reference why Oxbridge isn't as bad, but I think their pastoral care is probably better, and they don't have to worry about the London debt, and (generally) the moving out of halls and into potentially more expensive, private accommodation. It's not something that LSE,UCL,ICL or KCL can easily rectify.
    I do not really like the whole idea of student satisfaction because it is incredibly subjective and easy to fix.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.