Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi! This is my first time posting here.
    Okay so where do I begin.. Last summer I moved from The Netherlands to England. In September I did A-Levels (chem, phys and maths) for a few weeks but then I got told my maths and English skills weren't good enough and had to do a Level 2 course and GCSE English and maths.
    However, they never told me I was supposed to do higher tier maths, nor did I know a that time. I still have a chance to do the higher tier paper but it's still not clear to me. I know the difference between higher and foundation now but I would like to hear some more about higher tier maths. I don't think my teachers can help me a lot, so I'm kind of on my own.
    What revision books would you recommend me? What are good revision and practice websites? What is meant by "Specification A Linear"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ih8milk)
    Hi! This is my first time posting here.
    Okay so where do I begin.. Last summer I moved from The Netherlands to England. In September I did A-Levels (chem, phys and maths) for a few weeks but then I got told my maths and English skills weren't good enough and had to do a Level 2 course and GCSE English and maths.
    However, they never told me I was supposed to do higher tier maths, nor did I know a that time. I still have a chance to do the higher tier paper but it's still not clear to me. I know the difference between higher and foundation now but I would like to hear some more about higher tier maths. I don't think my teachers can help me a lot, so I'm kind of on my own.
    What revision books would you recommend me? What are good revision and practice websites? What is meant by "Specification A Linear"?
    All maths GCSE are now linear but schools can choose from a variety of examiners on which higher tier exams they use. The most common GCSE maths examiners are EDEXCEL and AQA . You should get revision books that match the examiner you will take because while the maths is the same, the exam question styles are somewhat different.
    CGP produce revision guides and workbooks for all examiners that are pretty good and are widely available from book shops and Amazon etc.
    A good web site, especially if you are doing EDEXCEL is www.mathsgenie.co.uk
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gdunne42)
    All maths GCSE are now linear but schools can choose from a variety of examiners on which huger tier exams they use. The most common GCSE maths examiners are EDEXCEL and AQA . You should get revision books that match the examiner you will take because while the maths is the same, the exam question styles are somewhat different.
    CGP produce revision guides and workbooks for all examiners that are pretty good and are widely available from book shops and Amazon etc. A good web site, especially if you are doing EDEXCEL is www.mathsgenie.co.uk
    So every GCSE maths is "specification A Linear" ? I currently have this book https://www.amazon.co.uk/Revise-Edex.../dp/1446900185 Is it a good one to revise with? It came out in 2011, I hope it's not outdated or something.
    And thank you for the link.
    Is higher tier really that difficult though? It's seems doable but it's just that the paper is in May which means I would have to start cramming now.
    My teachers told me a story about a "highly skilled mathematician" at our college that still got a D, which kind of scares me so yeah, is it that hard?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ih8milk)
    So every GCSE maths is "specification A Linear" ? I currently have this book https://www.amazon.co.uk/Revise-Edex.../dp/1446900185 Is it a good one to revise with? It came out in 2011, I hope it's not outdated or something.
    And thank you for the link.
    Is higher tier really that difficult though? It's seems doable but it's just that the paper is in May which means I would have to start cramming now.
    My teachers told me a story about a "highly skilled mathematician" at our college that still got a D, which kind of scares me so yeah, is it that hard?
    That revision guide does not exactly match the exams you will be taking.
    A new specification was introduced last year that incorporates several changes.
    If EDEXCEL is your examiner it's a great revision guide, Ideally you would have the later version of that book that matches the new grade 9-1 specification. It's not the end of the world if you dont get the updated one but I would get the 9-1 exam practice workbook that goes with it.

Higher tier is harder than foundation tier, it is clearly doable for huge numbers of year 11 students but I don't know anything about your knowledge and aptitude for maths so can't easily advise you on what to choose. Ask your teacher for some higher tier mock papers or last papers to try.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.