Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I'm 21 year old looking into the possibility of enrolling onto an Access to HE course and eventually Uni. I was wondering if anyone has ever done Access to HE and gone on to take a Physics degree? This would be my chosen degree but as I haven't previously done A-Levels I feel it would be a LOT to get my head round in just 1 year before uni. Any responses appreciated as I have only just started looking into this and am quite excited about learning more.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'd recommend contacting some of the universities you might like to apply to and asking if there are any specific Access courses they will accept for entry onto these degrees - for STEM subjects they can be particularly choosy, mainly because the maths content varies considerably between them (and for Physics, this is of paramount importance). You may also want to look into "Physics with Foundation Year" courses, which have a "year 0" similar to an Access course integrated into the main course - covering the relevant material in that first year. For Physics (and engineering and similar) this isn't uncommon, so there are quite a few to choose from.

The other benefit of a foundation year route is the foundation year, along with the rest of the degree, will be fully funded by SFE - for an Access course you may be able to get funding through an Advanced Learner Loan. However eligibility and entitlement information seems to be scarce and from what I hear you find out how much you're getting, if anything, not long before starting the course, which can be a problem if you get less than you expected and have to suddenly come up with a large chunk of money.

You could also take OU modules, which are accepted by some universities for such purposes - although as with the Access course, it would best to check with the universities of interest before starting to make sure this would be acceptable (and which specific modules they require, if any - likely the level 1 maths and science modules, but they may want some at level 2 in physics and/or maths as well).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    I'd recommend contacting some of the universities you might like to apply to and asking if there are any specific Access courses they will accept for entry onto these degrees - for STEM subjects they can be particularly choosy, mainly because the maths content varies considerably between them (and for Physics, this is of paramount importance). You may also want to look into "Physics with Foundation Year" courses, which have a "year 0" similar to an Access course integrated into the main course - covering the relevant material in that first year. For Physics (and engineering and similar) this isn't uncommon, so there are quite a few to choose from.

The other benefit of a foundation year route is the foundation year, along with the rest of the degree, will be fully funded by SFE - for an Access course you may be able to get funding through an Advanced Learner Loan. However eligibility and entitlement information seems to be scarce and from what I hear you find out how much you're getting, if anything, not long before starting the course, which can be a problem if you get less than you expected and have to suddenly come up with a large chunk of money.

You could also take OU modules, which are accepted by some universities for such purposes - although as with the Access course, it would best to check with the universities of interest before starting to make sure this would be acceptable (and which specific modules they require, if any - likely the level 1 maths and science modules, but they may want some at level 2 in physics and/or maths as well).
    Thanks a lot! I will definitely look into the foundation year courses. I think I will have to brush up on quite a lot as enthusiasm alone doesn't secure course places unfortunately
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by KezziElNino)
    Thanks a lot! I will definitely look into the foundation year courses. I think I will have to brush up on quite a lot as enthusiasm alone doesn't secure course places unfortunately
    Probably, the main thing would be maths - try and work on your maths skills as much as possible, even just doing a couple problems a day (relevant for your current level of maths) to keep on top of things. Maths is very much something that benefits from continual practice/exposure (and is essential for physics!)

ReputationRep:
    I did Access to HE and then a physics degree. If you want to follow this route, you need to find an Access course that has more maths than is usually offered (Engineering pathway is generally the best one to look for). Some universities will accept this and some won't. You need to contact the admissions tutor for the physics department to check.

A word of warning though: a physics degree following Access or a foundation year is tough! You can succeed if you put the effort in, but you'll have to work harder than students who have done maths A level. With hindsight, I should have spent the summer between Access and first year at uni immersed in A level maths books. It would have made the first few months so much easier.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I'm 21 year old looking into the possibility of enrolling onto an Access to HE course and eventually Uni. I was wondering if anyone has ever done Access to HE and gone on to take a Physics degree? This would be my chosen degree but as I haven't previously done A-Levels I feel it would be a LOT to get my head round in just 1 year before uni. Any responses appreciated as I have only just started looking into this and am quite excited about learning more.
    I couldn't find an access to HE with any maths so I did the science access to HE and A level maths privately. Not for the faint of heart but it can be done.

ReputationRep:
    Hey thanks for the reply!

‘To achieve the Level 3 diploma in Science you will study a total of 60 credits over a single academic year. All students must study academic skills (the toolkit needed for success at university) in addition to a choice of 2 subjects from Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics. All units are class based and learning is facilitated by formal lectures, practical group work and ICT interaction.’ This is part of the info on Leeds City College’s site about the Access to Science course. I would be choosing Physics and Maths as my options, would I still need more maths or is this a new/tweaked system to allow more bespoke courses and thus provide ample maths in prep for a physics degree?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hey thanks for the reply!

‘To achieve the Level 3 diploma in Science you will study a total of 60 credits over a single academic year. All students must study academic skills (the toolkit needed for success at university) in addition to a choice of 2 subjects from Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics. All units are class based and learning is facilitated by formal lectures, practical group work and ICT interaction.’ This is part of the info on Leeds City College’s site about the Access to Science course. I would be choosing Physics and Maths as my options, would I still need more maths or is this a new/tweaked system to allow more bespoke courses and thus provide ample maths in prep for a physics degree?
    This is a question only the unis you want to apply for can answer.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.