Turn on thread page Beta

How Black Mirror combines a disturbing future with a familiar past - Discussion watch

•  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi,

One of UEA's academics Richard Hand has written a piece in The Conversation on how the Netflix TV series Black Mirror combines a disturbing future with a familiar past here.

Have you watched the programme? If so, which episode did you find most poignant as a possible projection of the future?

- Laura, UEA Official Rep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by University of East Anglia)
    Hi,

One of UEA's academics Richard Hand has written a piece in The Conversation on how the Netflix TV series Black Mirror combines a disturbing future with a familiar past here.

Have you watched the programme? If so, which episode did you find most poignant as a possible projection of the future?

- Laura, UEA Official Rep
    It was mentioned in the article: Nosedive. A telling warning about the dangers of authoritarian regressive liberalism combined with blind use of social media.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    It was mentioned in the article: Nosedive. A telling warning about the dangers of authoritarian regressive liberalism combined with blind use of social media.
    As a Social Media Co-ordinator, Nosedive definitely struck a cord with me! Do you think it'll end up that way? Or, will the current acute public awareness of the cultural risks of social media help us stall this potential reality?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by University of East Anglia)
    As a Social Media Co-ordinator, Nosedive definitely struck a cord with me! Do you think it'll end up that way? Or, will the current acute public awareness of the cultural risks of social media help us stall this potential reality?
    The refusal of curmudgeonly old buggers like me to use social media will cut it off at the pass, at least for ourselves. I can't speak for those who are already enslaved by such technology though. The real scourge is that of rising authoritarian and puritan regressive lberalism, which will, no doubt, seek to use technology to turn society into a tightly-controlled dystopian nightmare where nobody can do or say anything that someone else might complain about or take offence to. Frightening.

ReputationRep:
    I came across this article:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.m...l-12054328.amp

This just reminded me exactly of Hated In the Nation.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.