Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I want to study English at uni, what jobs can I do with an English degree that'll get me a good salary? (Not particularly keen on office jobs)
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Your chances of getting rich off the back of an English degree are incredibly small. Well, the chances are incredibly small full stop, but particularly with an English degree.

Not that it won't happen, but your degree won't have anything to do with it if it does.

ReputationRep:
    teaching English abroad is pretty rewarding
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    People help others get rich only if it makes them more rich. Anyways, try to go into investment banking...English is unlikely to get you rich.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Write an acclaimed fantasy series, and get a popular TV series made out of it (must wait 20+ years between the two)

Build a time machine and invest in bitcoin/dotcom/whatever before it burst(s) (may require advanced mathematics/physics)

Become an award winning actor (only if you went to Cambridge and joined the Footlights)

Go into investment banking (non target university graduates need not apply)

Study graduate entry medicine (good luck)

I can't think of anything else right now

Spoiler:
    Show

realistically, "rich" is relative - with an English degree, what you get out of it is really dependent on what you make of it. There are plenty of generic grad schemes you can apply to that pay well, and other "generalist" roles such as media positions, that are applicable. There is competition for these of course, but the main thing to focus on is doing as well as possible in your academic endeavours on the way, and work out what you can and can't aim for later.

ReputationRep:
    You could get into investment banking with a degree in English unless it isn’t from a targeted university which probably isn’t so your chances are small.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Itssnowing)
    I want to study English at uni, what jobs can I do with an English degree that'll get me a good salary? (Not particularly keen on office jobs)
    Thanks
    if you're "not keen on office jobs", then good luck... All the high paying jobs open to graduates of general academic degrees are office jobs. Everything else is about your talent and luck (i.e. author, the arts etc).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 4, 2018

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.