Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all - first time poster here, but I'd really appreciate some advice with this.
    I am looking to train and become qualified to teach English or Classics in secondary/high schools but don't know where to begin. Obviously the PGCE is the standard route but that doesn't seem to be viable for me because of my recent past. I have a first class honours MA (undergrad) from St Andrews in English and Latin (2010) , and an MSc in English Lit. from the University of Edinburgh (2011) and have spent the last 6 years teaching A Level and AP Literature at a private boarding school in South Korea (was very lucky to get that job without teaching qualifications). I have now returned to the UK and to Edinburgh but have been told that I no longer qualify for financial assistance/bursaries for the PGCE because I wasn't resident here over the past 3 years, even though I am a British citizen by birth. So, a PGCE seems off the cards and I'm not sure where to turn now. I'm not tied down to the UK or to the idea of teaching only here and I've heard that an MEd may be helpful for some foreign international schools, or that I could move to the States or Canada to try to qualify there. I have friends in both Vancouver and Chicago who are involved with education but they also seem pretty confused as to how a Brit can make it over there teaching English. Those options also seem prohibitively expensive. Does anyone have any advice for me regarding getting qualified here or abroad?
    Thank you!!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Bonbo)
    Hi all - first time poster here, but I'd really appreciate some advice with this.
    I am looking to train and become qualified to teach English or Classics in secondary/high schools but don't know where to begin. Obviously the PGCE is the standard route but that doesn't seem to be viable for me because of my recent past. I have a first class honours MA (undergrad) from St Andrews in English and Latin (2010) , and an MSc in English Lit. from the University of Edinburgh (2011) and have spent the last 6 years teaching A Level and AP Literature at a private boarding school in South Korea (was very lucky to get that job without teaching qualifications). I have now returned to the UK and to Edinburgh but have been told that I no longer qualify for financial assistance/bursaries for the PGCE because I wasn't resident here over the past 3 years, even though I am a British citizen by birth. So, a PGCE seems off the cards and I'm not sure where to turn now. I'm not tied down to the UK or to the idea of teaching only here and I've heard that an MEd may be helpful for some foreign international schools, or that I could move to the States or Canada to try to qualify there. I have friends in both Vancouver and Chicago who are involved with education but they also seem pretty confused as to how a Brit can make it over there teaching English. Those options also seem prohibitively expensive. Does anyone have any advice for me regarding getting qualified here or abroad?
    Thank you!!
    Given your previous teaching experience and your degree grade, you might be able to get a Teach First or Schools Direct salaried position. This would mean you'd get paid as you trained and after two years you would be fully qualified. Have you looked at these options at all?

Alternatively, given your experience, you could maybe find employment in the UK as an unqualified teacher at a private school or free school. One of these schools might also be willing to sponsor you through a PGCE or help you obtain QTS via an assessment only route.

I don't have much advice about options in the US or Canada, but I'd be surprised if you could find a route over there that would cost less than a year's PGCE in this country?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.