Turn on thread page Beta

Having dyed hair at university? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to university this September and I wanted to know what universities generally think about having dyed hair, like an unnatural colour. I know people do and they can't stop you, but do universities or future employers frown upon it? Or will it make no difference? I'm going to study an art and design course but that probably makes no difference. My plan was to bleach it blonde and then use semi permanent dyes of pastel pink or purple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smidch)
    I'm going to university this September and I wanted to know what universities generally think about having dyed hair, like an unnatural colour. I know people do and they can't stop you, but do universities or future employers frown upon it? Or will it make no difference? I'm going to study an art and design course but that probably makes no difference. My plan was to bleach it blonde and then use semi permanent dyes of pastel pink or purple.
    You can do what you like at university, it would probably be frowned upon if you didn't dye your hair purple on an art and design course. I'm sure in the industries you are likely to work in it will be perfectly normal to have a individual style and appearance. If you were studying something else and planning to work in more traditional environments then your fashion sense and appearance might be a different issue.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smidch)
    I've seen hair all the colours of the rainbow at my uni (sometimes different colours on different heads, sometimes all those colour on one head!) and nobody bats an eyelid. The only time you'd need to be careful is if you had work placements as part of your degree (e.g. hospital or corporate placements) that are likely to have a uniform and/or expected dress code as part of their requirements.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.