Turn on thread page Beta

Question regarding terminology in Quantum Physics watch

ReputationRep:
    When learning about Quantum Physics & using revision guides/watching videos, I see a lot of phrases like "The photon model of light", and "photons of light" being used. Why is it that its always in relation to light, rather than the entire EM spectrum? I'm pretty sure a photon be a Gamma ray photon & an x-ray photon or even a ultraviolet photon (depending on its photon frequency of course), can't it?

Do people just say "photons of light" out of convention since light is the only part of the EM spectrum we can see, similar to how "speed of light" is the conventional term even though all EM radiation travels at the 'speed of light', or what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaintPablo)
    When learning about Quantum Physics & using revision guides/watching videos, I see a lot of phrases like "The photon model of light", and "photons of light" being used. Why is it that its always in relation to light, rather than the entire EM spectrum? I'm pretty sure a photon be a Gamma ray photon & an x-ray photon or even a ultraviolet photon (depending on its photon frequency of course), can't it?

Do people just say "photons of light" out of convention since light is the only part of the EM spectrum we can see, similar to how "speed of light" is the conventional term even though all EM radiation travels at the 'speed of light', or what?
    Light can be used as a general term, it doesn't just mean visible light. Especially not in the context of quantum physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaintPablo)

Well you're correct - it's all photons and tbh gamma photons are quite often spoken about too... radio waves are also caused by photons but it's a bit less of a useful way to think about radio most of the time so you don't hear it so often.

FWIW is used to describe EM radiation that's not in the visible part of the spectrum. e.g. the Diamond light source
    Which produce can produce photons between IR and x-ray

But in written answers try and be as specific as possible as you might catch an examiner out... they're almost certain to be reading yours alongside lots of scripts from students who think the physical definition of light is visible light only, even at A level these days.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 1, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.