Turn on thread page Beta
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thoughts? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43244088
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Indifferent Might be nice if they took a pay freeze like many people have to, but not over the top and our MPs dont get that much anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys not know what inflation is?

ReputationRep:
    That’s a fair amount below inflation. Plus mps actually do a rather difficult and demanding job.

ReputationRep:
    It's not that big of deal because of inflation as others have mentioned, but I'd like to see news that other public sector jobs especially doctors also get a pay rise as their jobs are also very difficult and demanding.

ReputationRep:
    About time after their recent year-on-year double digit increases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    About time after their recent year-on-year double digit increases.
    1.8%is made up of 2 digits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andrew97)
    1.8%is made up of 2 digits.
    Pedant. Double digit usually refers to numbers between 10 and 99. In 2014 and 2015, they got 10%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    Pedant. Double digit usually refers to numbers between 10 and 99. In 2014 and 2015, they got 10%
    Yeah, I know. Was just messing with you really.

ReputationRep:
    They have no control over their pay so what's the point in making a big deal about it?

Were it up to me, I'd change the entire way MPs are paid, expensed and housed - definitely give them a huge pay rise for a start. Then look at parliament-owned apartments in a secure blocks for all non-London MPs, also admin services being paid for centrally - this way as much as possible is taken away from MPs in terms of having to pay and reclaim expenses. For expenses, I don't see why they can't be issued credit cards - which are used for food, travel and sundries - anything fishy shows up on there like a Jeroboam of Krug - and they have to answer for it.

I'd personally look at about £120,000 pa for MPs, £200,000 or so for Cabinet and Leader of the Opposition and maybe £350,000 for the PM and Chancellor.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    I.e. real wage contraction and more importantly below average increase in wages
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    They get enough already.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.