Turn on thread page Beta

Has the modern day feminist movement created a deep rift between men and women? watch

ReputationRep:
    As far as I can see, the modern day feminist movement has created huge divisions between men and women in Western society. Women seem to be in genuine conflict with men. Men are seen as "the enemy" and "oppressors". The feminist movement is no longer about equality - it's about women's superiority and gaining as much power over men as they feasibly can.

The reality is that women in Western society are more than equal with men and have been for a number of years now. Women have the vote, they are paid equal (the gender pay gap is a myth and I'm happy to cite the reasons if anyone wants to debate that it exists), they have the same opportunities as men in education and the workplace, they have the same human rights as men, and so on and so forth.

Women in Western society are actually privileged and hold significant advantages over men. This is by no means an exhaustive list, but to name a few:

- women are treated less harshly by the criminal justice system than men are for committing the same crime (eg. rape, assault)

- women are given favourable treatment in child custody cases

- women are given favourable treatment in marriage and divorce settlements

- women are still not expected to do the most difficult and degrading jobs in society, such as construction work, warehouse work and armed forces.

- there is still less pressure on women to forge a good, strong career. Men are almost defined by their career and the amount of money they make. Women want men with money (more money = better provider of resources). On the other hand, women can build a strong career, but they don't have to - and they are praised whichever path they go down.

- women are allowed to be "fragile" and "delicate". They're allowed to show emotions and find things difficult. Men must get on with it, no matter how much mental stress or suffering they're going through. Men are told to "man up and get on with your life". Women can chat with their girlriends about problems they're going through. Men do not have an outlet for their problems - they must suffer in silence. Society does not care about male wellbeing in the same way as women.

- women hold a massive advantage over men in the dating market. They have more options available than almost every man, they don't have to ask out men, they don't have to pay for dates etc.

- society treats women better in general. Women are still seen as the carers, the nuturer's, "gods gift of beauty". Men are seen as disposable, selfish pigs, arrogant, oppressors, only think with what's in their pants etc.

Feminists play the victim card so often, when in reality the advantages they have over men are numerous and in other areas (such as pay, education, voting), they are at least equal.

So going back to the original question: why has the modern day feminist movement created this deep rift between men and women?

Women should be working with men. They should realise that men and women complement each other. Instead of always being in conflict with men - when men actually have it a lot worse off than women in many cases, not better!

ReputationRep:
    It has always been a cause for friction between women and men. Not just now but since its inception in the 60s...believe it or not snowman77 but feminism was much, much worse back then than it is now. Back in the 60s feminists used to openly admit to being in a war with the "male chauvinist pig". Feminists would come out in the media and encourage women to segregate themselves from men. Some feminists in the 60s went so far as encouraging women not to talk to, work with or deal with men in any way shape or form.

Feminism is an inherently sexist ideology that promotes hatred between women and men. It is based on the core principle of the patriarchy. A principle that promotes an idea not very much unlike that of nazism. In the patriarchy the world that we live in is run by a system created by men for the benefit of men and subjugation of women. in nazism the world that we live is run by a system created by jews for the benefit of jews and subjugation of all other races. Nazism promotes racism. Feminism promotes sexism. It always has and it always will.

ReputationRep:
    I agree I believe everyone should be treated equally but the feminist ideologyis almost a spremacist ideology where whomen have a step up over men and in the past far right men had the same view but for men being the supreme sex the verry founding was to fight against a fascist view but in attempt to do so only created another fascist view

This is very y similar to what happened with the neo-nazis whom 2
    Where white individuals living in poor neighbourhoods with racism against White people and so they became racist against those who aren’t white I’m simplifying it of course naturally there were more reasons but that’s one of them

My view is instead of combatting faschism with further faschism fight it with knowledge and truth once the thick racists and sexists realise their views are stupid they can finally learn from their mistakes and become rational individuals there is only one race humanity.

Here’s another group that have become fascists in America ANTIFA i myself consider myself anti fascist but I don’t beat up the ignorant and or abuse people for their beliefs

We all have the right to free speech even nazies and so let the nazies debate their view and crush them with reason not violence if we did that it would die out as the stupid ideology it is
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowman77)
    As far as I can see, the modern day feminist movement has created huge divisions between men and women in Western society. Women seem to be in genuine conflict with men. Men are seen as "the enemy" and "oppressors". The feminist movement is no longer about equality - it's about women's superiority and gaining as much power over men as they feasibly can.

The reality is that women in Western society are more than equal with men and have been for a number of years now. Women have the vote, they are paid equal (the gender pay gap is a myth and I'm happy to cite the reasons if anyone wants to debate that it exists), they have the same opportunities as men in education and the workplace, they have the same human rights as men, and so on and so forth.

Women in Western society are actually privileged and hold significant advantages over men. This is by no means an exhaustive list, but to name a few:

- women are treated less harshly by the criminal justice system than men are for committing the same crime (eg. rape, assault)

- women are still not expected to do the most difficult and degrading jobs in society, such as construction work, warehouse work and armed forces.

- there is still less pressure on women to forge a good, strong career. Men are almost defined by their career and the amount of money they make. Women want men with money (more money = better provider of resources). On the other hand, women can build a strong career, but they don't have to - and they are praised whichever path they go down.

- women are allowed to be "fragile" and "delicate". They're allowed to show emotions and find things difficult. Men must get on with it, no matter how much mental stress or suffering they're going through. Men are told to "man up and get on with your life". Women can chat with their girlriends about problems they're going through. Men do not have an outlet for their problems - they must suffer in silence. Society does not care about male wellbeing in the same way as women.

- women hold a massive advantage over men in the dating market. They have more options available than almost every man, they don't have to ask out men, they don't have to pay for dates etc.

- society treats women better in general. Women are still seen as the carers, the nuturer's, "gods gift of beauty". Men are seen as disposable, selfish pigs, arrogant, oppressors, only think with what's in their pants etc.

Feminists play the victim card so often, when in reality the advantages they have over men are numerous and in other areas (such as pay, education, voting), they are at least equal.

So going back to the original question: why has the modern day feminist movement created this deep rift between men and women?

Women should be working with men. They should realise that men and women complement each other. Instead of always being in conflict with men - when men actually have it a lot worse off than women in many cases, not better!
    Well, feminism has certainly made me afraid of marriage. It's an absolute sh*t-storm online but in my day to day experience, the hardcore feminists seem to pool in specific areas (Brighton is full of them) while in other places, most girls just aren't synced-in with that stuff or hold moderate views

After watching Star Wars The Last Jedi, I certaily felt like men where under attack. Every man in that film was a goof while the women were saintly, angelic badasses. Don't get me started on Kathleen Kennedy. On that subject, I've noticed a worrying trend of militant feminists trying to hijack everything that men love whether it's Star Wars, action heroes, historical war films, video games, Star Wars, James Bond etc. Take James Bond. James Bond IS A MAN yet feminists insist on trying to make him a woman. Women don't traditionally like James Bond and if they do, it;s for *other* reasons.The only reason they took an interest in this franchise was because they saw he was the pinnacle of masculinity for many boys and wanted to directly attack this by CHANGING HIM INTO A WOMAN. The wiser idea would have been to have a Bond spinoff about '009' or something. This is a cynical attack on man's place in Hollywood.

Then of course there is the brazen attack on our very biology. Women demonised the natural male sitting position of having their legs slightly apart so as not to crush the testicles. They called this manspreading and inisisted on making this about 'the patriarchy'. And of course, our perspective automatically means less because we can't stop 'mansplaining'. I'm half-nigerian so I at least get some 'privilege' points. I can only imagine how infuriating it is for the dreaded white male lol. Then of course there's the whole #metoo witch hunt, the minefield that is post 2014 dating (women want to have their cake and eat it too) and the skewed divorce courts. It's obvious that an attack on men is being conducted by the political elite and mainstream media. I'm just glad there are still plenty of women who don't subscribe to this partisan nonsense. Sometime I just pretend it doesn't exist. Anyway, I've ranted enough.

ReputationRep:
    No, just a division between feminists and sane people.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting replies so far.

Looks like this thread isn't as popular as my other one on feminism (which currently has 890 posts and counting). Such a shame.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting replies so far.

Looks like this thread isn't as popular as my other one on feminism (which currently has 890 posts and counting). Such a shame.
    If its made one person think about these issues, about the destructive nature of feminism, its made a difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieButter)
    If its made one person think about these issues, about the destructive nature of feminism, its made a difference.
    Yes I suppose you are right.

Feminism truly is a cancer in society. Don't get me wrong - I'm all for equal rights. But not women's superiority - which is what feminism has become.

ReputationRep:
    I think the focus on differences between men and women, and not the similarities, greatly exaggerates the "drift" you are describing.

A lot of people are reasonable minded people, regardless of sex. People will always have misunderstandings, but with time, these misunderstandings are confronted and sorted. Think about how far we have come in the grand scheme of things.

It is the responsibility of both men and women to confront the problems of both men and women. As in, the problems you have described have both a misogynistic and misandrist root, e.g.: men expect other men to uphold manly expectations, women expect men to uphold manly expectations. Same for feminine expectations.

Such biases should be stamped out of the courts of justice, of the influential media, of the individual parents of the next generation- this is idealistic though, and cannot happen without the gradual attrition of these attitudes from society, and from the individuals of that society.

ReputationRep:
    Feminism truly is a cancer in society..
    It is indeed and the majority of people are ignorant about it despite it being hugely influential in this part of the world. So the best way to go about dealing with it is to give its truth exposure...

"All that is necessary to defeat feminism is to tell the truth about feminism.” Robert McCain. Sex Trouble: Essays on Radical Feminism and the War Against Human Nature.

"The first stage of the battle against feminism is to raise the consciousness of more people about the true nature of feminism in the modern era. Then we – the majority of both men and women, whose interests are being assaulted by feminists – will be in a better position to demand of our political leaders and others that they stop their spineless capitulation to these awful women." Feminism: The Ugly Truth By Mike Buchanan.

Exposure is to feminism what kryptonite is to Superman.

ReputationRep:
    A world in which women were rulers would be equally as scary as the historic patriarchy that through laws and attitudes we have helped over come. Yet I feel that feminism still has its place in the world as true equality has not been met. I feel that people who are suffering should have the voice to speak out and my fear of radical feminist movements is that when issues are raised by other woman they are shut down as they are now assumed man haters. I'm a feminist and I care about men. They should have people to express their emotions to and seen as equals in the eyes of the court. A lot of toxic masculinity is detrimental to men and women. My main concerns as a feminist is not manspreading xD but actual problems within society such as domestic abuse and rape. I feel that women are not in armed forces etc due to stereotypes. In general there are many negative stereotypes that limit men and women. People need to stop viewing issues in such black and white ways. why are we having a battle against people who feel the need to speak out. Let them have a voice too. Modern day feminism has brought about some good things for both sexes too remember the #heforshe. I feel that people need to stop focusing their attention on petty things, let's try and stop arranged marriages of young girls and the negative stereotypes which lead men to have such high suicide rates. Let's have more women in the armed forces. Let's have more women in board rooms because when both sexes are together better ideas are created. Let's have more women in politics with out being criticized for the way they look or what outfit there wore by the same social media platforms which have 'feminist articles'. I hate sexism as much as you guys because I have had to suffer due to sexist men's comments and actions and most likely in my career will have to face this too. Feminism doesn't need to cause a drift between the sexes but can actually be used as a driving force to benefit everyone.

ReputationRep:
    tbh a lot of men are fed up of fragile and toxic masculinity too and perfectly happy to watch it be taken down

Sure there are people who just want to be angry about stuff. people who lump all men in a box and are just bigoted. They're not the majority of women or of feminists.

Most people recognise that some behaviours need to no longer be tolerated, but that to move forward the people who expressed them previously need to be forgiven.

Those who don't will have their 5 minutes of shrill then be forgotten as the battlemap is redrawn and we adopt a newer, more tolerable normal.

As long as my friends need to walk home with keys between their fingers though I'll say that men still have it easy.

ReputationRep:
    Feminism has not created a deep rift between men and women.

What we have is a bunch of socially inept, fragile, effete men who sit at their keyboards explaining how feminism is victimising them. If such men grew a pair and stopped wallowing in their self-pity, they would realise how easily men and women get on.

ReputationRep:

There's too much topics on the subject lately, we are reaching saturation levels, so you can't expect every topic to have hundreds of posts....

ReputationRep:

You are such a snowflake, grow a pair and I don't mean breasts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sulfolobus)
    Feminism has not created a deep rift between men and women.

What we have is a bunch of socially inept, fragile, effete men who sit at their keyboards explaining how feminism is victimising them. If such men grew a pair and stopped wallowing in their self-pity, they would realise how easily men and women get on.
    "grew a pair" derives from 'grew testicles'.
    Testicles contain sperm, which is released by sexual activity.
    So you are implicitly encouraging men to create a sexual ambience / overtures towards women.
    Sex is, indeed, a way that men feel comfortable being controlled / subservient to women's desires.
    A primary desire for many men is sex, even from an intimacy / teaching your partner something new point of view.
    To work with a load of women who find you beta as a smooth operator , often because of wage or assumed wage rather than either looks or real difference to society, is death by a thousand non-real (money's merely a promise to pay, work status is arbritrary-if the MD chose to give the cleaners the best wages then they'd be more valued by other staff) superficialnesses.

ReputationRep:
    I've never once had any difficulty with women in day-to-day life which involves anything about sex, gender, feminism, etc.

If you live on the internet and constantly focus on this stuff (which is really not that important, all things considered) then sure you're bound to get into arguments with people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHallowvale)
    I've never once had any difficulty with women in day-to-day life which involves anything about sex, gender, feminism, etc.

If you live on the internet and constantly focus on this stuff (which is really not that important, all things considered) then sure you're bound to get into arguments with people.
    That's because you my friend are an ignoramus, a simpleton living in the twilight zone.

Herbert Purdy summarised the division and damage that feminism has caused between women and men in society nicely in his book "Their Angry Creed":

"- Marriage, once the committed union for life of a man and a woman, and the key institution that guaranteed social stability, has been de-constructed, re-defined, and all but destroyed. Today, in what amounts to a tidal wave of divorce, initiated by women three times as often as men, half of all marriages will fail, and their median expectation of lasting is only 11 years, according to the UK Office for National Statistics (ONS).

- Marriage has been replaced by a legally uncommitted union of two ‘equal partners’ Marxist dogma), in which technically illegitimate children are being born wholesale, and which has an even worse prognosis of lasting than marriage.

- The social role of the mother has been changed. Once the bearer and nurturer of young children until their emerging viability as ’teens, women now combine career with child-bearing and upbringing, attempting to reconcile an impossible set of roles, and often unable to give their best to any of them – least of all to themselves The ready provision of maternity leave and the increasing provision of child care allowances from state funding is manoeuvring mothers into leaving their children’s upbringing, in their most crucial formative years, to strangers.

- Politically correct child-minders, operating in what amount to state-funded nurseries, are taking over the role of shaping and forming our future generations according to broader societal values, rather than the values of their own families. This is what totalitarian states do.

- Under successive interventions from governments of all political hues - joined only by a common acceptance that feminism is a good thing - women have been co-opted into the means of economic production (another communist principle). They have been turned into wage-slaves, just like men have always been, and they emulate precisely the women in socialist-communist states.

- In fact, women are now working harder for less, as figures released by the ONS show. Although they are roughly half the workforce, they still only contribute about 28% of all income tax, compared to men's 72%. Women en masse are being used as working drones, most of them earning pittances, while their privileged sisters argue about the glass ceiling, the pay gap, and women’s representation in the boardroom.

- Elite feminists, with their social agendas, have even reworked the idea of what constitutes a normal family. For example, Harriet Harman, as far back as 1990, in a report which she co-authored with Patricia Hewitt, another prominent Labour feminist, said, ‘It cannot be assumed that men are bound to be an asset to family life or that the presence of fathers in families is necessarily a means to social cohesion'. This is now widely accepted dogma amongst the political classes."

Thanks to feminism divorced men have become denied their rights to their children. Thanks to feminism the institution of the family has been destroyed. Thanks to feminism women have been encouraged to separate from men through lesbianism, a "solution" feminism calls separatism. Thanks to feminism, the institution of marriage has all but been destroyed. Thanks to feminism men have started pursuing MGTOW to avoid being exploited by women in relationships.

I can go on ..and on and on but i think I've made my point.

....If feminism isn't creating a deep rift between women and men, dividing them, separating them then I don't know what is.

ReputationRep:
    That's because you my friend are an ignoramus, a simpleton living in the twilight zone.

Herbert Purdy summarised the division and damage that feminism has caused between women and men in society nicely in his book "Their Angry Creed":

"- Marriage, once the committed union for life of a man and a woman, and the key institution that guaranteed social stability, has been de-constructed, re-defined, and all but destroyed. Today, in what amounts to a tidal wave of divorce, initiated by women three times as often as men, half of all marriages will fail, and their median expectation of lasting is only 11 years, according to the UK Office for National Statistics (ONS).

- Marriage has been replaced by a legally uncommitted union of two ‘equal partners’ Marxist dogma), in which technically illegitimate children are being born wholesale, and which has an even worse prognosis of lasting than marriage.

- The social role of the mother has been changed. Once the bearer and nurturer of young children until their emerging viability as ’teens, women now combine career with child-bearing and upbringing, attempting to reconcile an impossible set of roles, and often unable to give their best to any of them – least of all to themselves The ready provision of maternity leave and the increasing provision of child care allowances from state funding is manoeuvring mothers into leaving their children’s upbringing, in their most crucial formative years, to strangers.

- Politically correct child-minders, operating in what amount to state-funded nurseries, are taking over the role of shaping and forming our future generations according to broader societal values, rather than the values of their own families. This is what totalitarian states do.

- Under successive interventions from governments of all political hues - joined only by a common acceptance that feminism is a good thing - women have been co-opted into the means of economic production (another communist principle). They have been turned into wage-slaves, just like men have always been, and they emulate precisely the women in socialist-communist states.

- In fact, women are now working harder for less, as figures released by the ONS show. Although they are roughly half the workforce, they still only contribute about 28% of all income tax, compared to men's 72%. Women en masse are being used as working drones, most of them earning pittances, while their privileged sisters argue about the glass ceiling, the pay gap, and women’s representation in the boardroom.

- Elite feminists, with their social agendas, have even reworked the idea of what constitutes a normal family. For example, Harriet Harman, as far back as 1990, in a report which she co-authored with Patricia Hewitt, another prominent Labour feminist, said, ‘It cannot be assumed that men are bound to be an asset to family life or that the presence of fathers in families is necessarily a means to social cohesion'. This is now widely accepted dogma amongst the political classes."

Thanks to feminism divorced men have become denied their rights to their children. Thanks to feminism the institution of the family has been destroyed. Thanks to feminism women have been encouraged to separate from men through lesbianism, a "solution" feminism calls separatism. Thanks to feminism, the institution of marriage has all but been destroyed. Thanks to feminism men have started pursuing MGTOW to avoid being exploited by women in relationships.

....If feminism isn't creating a deep rift between women and men, dividing them, separating them then I don't know what is.
    I think I know my life and my relationships with other people a little better than you do. Some paranoid nobody on the internet telling me otherwise means nothing.

Much of what you have posted here is trash:

- Marriage isn't the be all and end all of society/relationships.
    - Divorce isn't always bad.
    - Equality in a relationship is a good thing.
    - Mothers being able to have careers is a good thing.
    - Fathers having more responsibility to care is a good thing.
    - "Family values" aren't everything, nor always good.
    - Women entering the workforce isn't a bad thing.
    - Normal (IE, modern) families differ from what they were in the past and in many ways for the better.

Women aren't being encouraged to become lesbians. What world do you live in? Do you ever go outside, or talk with normal people?

If "MGTOW" are anything like you then they aren't being exploited, they are just living in the past and have outdated and wrong perceptions on what a relationship should be like. Sounds more like gross incompetence and lack of social skill than it does exploitation.

ReputationRep:

You've successfully synthesised reactionary and self-pitying identity politics. Congratulations.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.