Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Due to my mental illnesses I've been out of Year 12 since Christmas (it's now March and my CAMHS team are trying to be realistic) and it's looking likely that I'm going to have to repeat the year and start afresh in September so that I have enough time to at least get myself back on track with recovery. But the problem is that I want to study veterinary science so I'm not sure if retaking a year is wise. My school doesn't do AS levels, so in theory I could try and teach myself the Year 1 content and keep up to date (I was trying to do that but the past few weeks I fell behind because of my depression) and then do my A levels next year, but I'm worried this will be too much pressure and I'll crash again. Is retaking year 12 really such a bad idea in terms of university applications as long as I (or my referees) can state why I was off school?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by geeorgie)
    Due to my mental illnesses I've been out of Year 12 since Christmas (it's now March and my CAMHS team are trying to be realistic) and it's looking likely that I'm going to have to repeat the year and start afresh in September so that I have enough time to at least get myself back on track with recovery. But the problem is that I want to study veterinary science so I'm not sure if retaking a year is wise. My school doesn't do AS levels, so in theory I could try and teach myself the Year 1 content and keep up to date (I was trying to do that but the past few weeks I fell behind because of my depression) and then do my A levels next year, but I'm worried this will be too much pressure and I'll crash again. Is retaking year 12 really such a bad idea in terms of university applications as long as I (or my referees) can state why I was off school?
    My take on this is that you need to contact the vet schools asap and find out the policy on resits. With medicine it is very strict, but with Vet I think there is more flexibility. You obviously have some sort of medical issue plus evidence, so if you dropped out now they may ignore this year altogether.

Example f a resit policy for Nottingham

Do you accept resits?

For the D100 and D104 course, we accept one resit attempt per subject at GCSE and A Level. Candidates with re-sits would not be disadvantaged throughout the admissions process however a B grade requirement is increased to an A grade after a resit. If resitting exams take you into a third year of A Levels, our offer increases to AAA. We do not accept any third attempts..

This is for RCVS

Does it count against me if I re-sit part, or all, of my qualification?

The RVC admissions policy is to accept re-taken grades or modules at GCSE, A Level or equivalent without penalty. However, if you do re-sit any qualifications you will be expected to meet our grade requirements on second sitting (for example, AAA at A Level), and we also specify that you must have achieved minimum grades on your first sitting (BBC at A Level, with B in Biology).

Applicants re-sitting other qualifications, or those taking new qualifications following an attempt in an alternative qualification, should contact the Admissions Office at [email protected] for information about minimum grades required at first sitting.

In these circumstances they allow resits, but they also do not say a first sit has t be within a 2 year window.

Check with them and I think if you redid first year they will still allow it to be considered a first sit, which is greatly to your advantage.

Get better and just redo year 12 imo once confirmed with those vet schools.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.