Turn on thread page Beta

62% of students and recent graduates have experienced sexual violence. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    It would be helpful, as k.n.h mentioned, if the report provided clear comprehensive definitions of what was classified as sexual harassment and what was classified as sexual assault. I expect this will descend in to the normal TSR style mud slinging contest soon, where ad hominem responses are the norm and people don't actually try and make sensible points, but I live in hope that there might be a modicum of rational discussion about this.

If someone could signpost me to the definitions used in the report that would be much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    That's appalling.

Come ON people. Humans have gotten into space, created revolutionary technologies, fought for equality and some of us can't understand when somebody says "no" they mean "no".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The RAR)
    I am guessing most of these students who have been "abused" are females, no offense but I get this feeling that it's simply not true and the female students may be over exaggerating, sure there are males who can be flirty and all that but sexual violence? A uni student knows better than that.
    Just my point of view and keep in mind I am not supporting sexual violence in any way.
    close minded to say that imo
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I don't think the 62% stat is a true reflection of actual sexual assault / harassment because it's completely subjective on what each person perceives as sexual harassment.

A similar stat would be about racism or Islamophobia for example, any number of phrases could be interpreted by some people as being racist or Islamophobic when they're not. This is quite subjective and I'd wager less than half of the reported cases are not actually sexual harassment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cod3tte)
    That's appalling.

Come ON people. Humans have gotten into space, created revolutionary technologies, fought for equality and some of us can't understand when somebody says "no" they mean "no".
    That's a fair and valid point, and regardless of question marks over this particular report (e.g. lack of clarity on nomenclature, lack of granularity etc...) we should remember that if only 1 person suffers from harassment or assault of any kind that is still 1 person too many.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k.n.h.)
    I agree, they should just call it what it is: groping and unnecessary/unwelcome touching in a sexual manner...
    :dots:
    Violence does not have to be physical. Being sexually violated in this way is as much mental violence as physical.

Violence = physical, only physical = wrong, is such a male view of the world.

Yes, there is a fine line between being a "snowflake" and just being offended for no reason, and having a genuine reason to feel mentally violated. But in these instances, where you personal space was invaded, that is violence.

ReputationRep:
    Also shocking. 62% of students are snowflakes and 6% have actually experienced sexual voilence.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I also want to highlight the figure for men - 26% of men, 1 in 4 men, have faced sexual violence, too. Now I support feminism, and the 70% of women is ridiculously high, however, given light of such a high figure for men, too, I wonder how this problem has not been addressed more (and no, while talked about a lot, it obviously hasn't been dealt with whatsoever, else the percentages would be lower). This shows pretty much everyone is affected. Are men afraid to speak up about this? Do we need to encourage them to come forward?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Georgia Brown)
    In my opinion, nobody should be assaulted in any way or in any country! It is wrong and I completely disagree with it. Nobody should feel violated in any way, shape or form...the people who are committing these crimes deserve to have serious repercussions! Who agrees with me?
    What a controversial position

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    What a controversial position
    What are you implying?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Nah I don't believe this sorry.

I wonder how many of those asked held grudges.

ReputationRep:
    I helped an old women off a bus once, maybe she should report me for sexual assult.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    Violence does not have to be physical. Being sexually violated in this way is as much mental violence as physical.
    Violence - behaviour involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something. Saying something someone finds offensive/mean isn't violence. https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/violence

Violence = physical, only physical = wrong, is such a male view of the world.
    When did I say only physical harassment is wrong? You're simply assuming and jumping the gun. And 'a male view of the world'? Wow, stereotyping now, aren't you (little bit sexist)? No, that view is not commonly held by males...

Yes, there is a fine line between being a "snowflake" and just being offended for no reason, and having a genuine reason to feel mentally violated. But in these instances, where you personal space was invaded, that is violence.
    Verbal harassment is wrong, but it's not violence.

ReputationRep:
    Violence - behaviour involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something. Saying something someone finds offensive/mean isn't violence. https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/violence

When did I say only physical harassment is wrong? You're simply assuming and jumping the gun. And 'a male view of the world'? Wow, stereotyping now, aren't you (little bit sexist)? No, that view is not commonly held by males...

Verbal harassment is wrong, but it's not violence.
    Something to learn for you today

https://www.gov.nl.ca/VPI/types/

And it is, where do you think "man up" or "don't be such a girl" comes from? Why men see so much more stigma around mental health than women.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jestersnow)
    That's a fair and valid point, and regardless of question marks over this particular report (e.g. lack of clarity on nomenclature, lack of granularity etc...) we should remember that if only 1 person suffers from harassment or assault of any kind that is still 1 person too many.
    Exactly! And to think people actually get away with this stuff.

Look at Harvey Weinstein, for years and years he assaulted women, they couldn't speak up because he was too powerful. He abused his power. Wheter he had power or not the minute he abused a woman in an inappropriate way he should've had his title taken away from him, not years later.

I know this is kind of irrelevant to students being abused, but I felt it needed to be said.

ReputationRep:
    Something to learn for you today

https://www.gov.nl.ca/VPI/types/
    Those are just words that have been conjured up by a government of an obscure area in Canada. The definition of violence which indicates physical behavior has been established in virtually all contexts and areas, all the major dictionaries, and is used widely everyday.

And it is, where do you think "man up" or "don't be such a girl" comes from? Why men see so much more stigma around mental health than women.
    Those are just stereotypical phrases describing and being said to males, tracing back to the times were gender inequality was largely and obviously present. These phrases do not entail the actual behavior of all males and in the present day, we are trying to break these inaccurate stereotypes down, not reinforce them like you're doing. You're generalizing males and I just think that was ignorant and unnecessary for you to say.

ReputationRep:
    Those are just stereotypical phrases describing an being said to males, tracing back to the times were gender inequality was largely and obviously present. These phrases do not entail the actual behavior of all males and in the present day, we are trying to break these inaccurate stereotypes down, not enforce them like you're doing. You're generalizing males.
    Given your lack of further argument on the first point, I assume you did actually click on the link? Thanks.

I am all for breaking stereotypes. My point is, these stereotypes exist (me pointing that out is not me creating them...) and is what is causing men to dismiss mental health. Yes, we should very much fight this.

And please stop. I won't start putting qualifiers into everything I say just so someone can't straw man me and say "hurr durr generalization, you're a bigot and wrong".

ReputationRep:
    I would really like to see the source data and the actual report, not just some uninformative infographic.

I suspect that a high percentage of this sexual 'violence' is more akin to catcalling or unwanted attention.

ReputationRep:
    Given your lack of further argument on the first point, I assume you did actually click on the link? Thanks.
    Of course I did, that's how I responded to you. What the page highlights in its sexual violence section are all forms of sexual harassment/abuse/assault. I would regard some acts highlighted in that section as 'sexual violence' (that I believe is a synonym for sexual assault) such as rape, beating sexual parts of body..etc as they are all physical with a considerable amount of force, but I don't believe non-physical acts such sexual jokes and comments are violent (they are still wrong, so don't say I think it's okay). I use multiple official dictionaries for relating words to their meanings, not a small, niche site.

I am all for breaking stereotypes. My point is, these stereotypes exist (me pointing that out is not me creating them...) and is what is causing men to dismiss mental health. Yes, we should very much fight this.
    I didn't say 'create', I meant to say 'reinforce'. And yes, we should fight these stereotypes, but note you're the one who said thinking that anything outside physical harassment isn't wrong is a 'male view', and that isn't technically true, as well as me not saying that non-physical harassment isn't wrong in the first place.

And please stop. I won't start putting qualifiers into everything I say just so someone can't straw man me and say "hurr durr generalization, you're a bigot and wrong".
    Well, by painting all men with the same brush, you kinda are making a generalization. It isn't a strawman as I'm not misrepresenting your statement, but literally saying what you just said. The whole point of this is that I'm simply pointing out that it's not a 'male view', I din't expect this to be stretched out this long. If you think that this is just a stereotype, then I have no problem, but you're mentioning that stereotype as if you believe it unironically..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The RAR)
    I am guessing most of these students who have been "abused" are females, no offense but I get this feeling that it's simply not true and the female students may be over exaggerating, sure there are males who can be flirty and all that but sexual violence? A uni student knows better than that.
    Just my point of view and keep in mind I am not supporting sexual violence in any way.

I'm the furthest thing from a feminist, but that's a disppicable attitude to have.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.