Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I've got all 5 of my University offers back for Computer science:

1) Lancaster
    2) Nottingham
    3) Queen Mary
    4) Goldsmiths
    5) Brunel

Ive not ordered them in any way above, just listed them, and im really unsure as to which one I should firm? I do BTEC so im pretty sure which grades im going to get and the one i firm will be the one im 100% going to. Help?¿

ReputationRep:
    I had Lancaster as my first till I realised that it may be quite quiet considering it seems so far away from everything, thats another thing, ITS FAR from London which is where i live. I would definitely go to Nottingham as it seems the best of both worlds when it comes to a campus and city university. It's also the highest ranked I think. Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vigilantis)
    So I've got all 5 of my University offers back for Computer science:

1) Lancaster
    2) Nottingham
    3) Queen Mary
    4) Goldsmiths
    5) Brunel

Ive not ordered them in any way above, just listed them, and im really unsure as to which one I should firm? I do BTEC so im pretty sure which grades im going to get and the one i firm will be the one im 100% going to. Help?¿
    What would you like to do after undergrad? Postgrad or get in to work? Do you know which area of CS interests you the most at the moment?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryanthom100)
    I had Lancaster as my first till I realised that it may be quite quiet considering it seems so far away from everything, thats another thing, ITS FAR from London which is where i live. I would definitely go to Nottingham as it seems the best of both worlds when it comes to a campus and city university. It's also the highest ranked I think. Good Luck!
    To be honest, im actually stuck between lancaster and nottingham right now. and thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jestersnow)
    What would you like to do after undergrad? Postgrad or get in to work? Do you know which area of CS interests you the most at the moment?
    I want to go into work, and its mainly the programming part of computer science which im interested in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vigilantis)
    I want to go into work, and its mainly the programming part of computer science which im interested in.
    I would focus on your placement year then, that's going to be the most important thing. IIRC, Nottingham offer placements abroad don't they? That may have changed. Don't quote me. Look at the placement opportunities you get as part of the course would be my advice (e.g. what companies you can work for, what roles they provide etc...).

I would say you won't go wrong with either university. My only interaction with Lancaster was meeting with a professor there who was doing some QA on a course I previously attended. Seemed very knowledgeable and knew his stuff inside out. They are quite strong on Cyber Security at Lancaster too.

ReputationRep:
    I would say consider the offers from Notts, QMUL and Lancaster. The benefits of Notts and QMUL are that you would attend a Russell Group and with QMUL you would also have a University of London degree which could be useful if you wanted to work abroad as a recognisable name. However saying this, Lancaster does rank higher than both but rankings do vary year to year.

In terms of the courses, look at what they offer in terms of optional and compulsory modules and see which aligns closest to your preferences.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 1, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.