Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Homesickness watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else struggle to adjust to life away from home? I have been away from home for six months now and have visited home 5 times. Thankyouu
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by eb2306)
    Anyone else struggle to adjust to life away from home? I have been away from home for six months now and have visited home 5 times. Thankyouu
    You need to stop going home so often. That's the only way to fully settle in.

You can always call your family, use Skype etc.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    I would second @Blue_Cow's post.

The people I saw struggle the most at Uni, were the people who went home constantly--you miss out on so much and lose out on the time that others have in building intimacy and thus feeling at home in Uni. Even if there aren't parties or anything planned, there are spontaneous meet-ups, chats in the flat or house kitchen, etc.

Try going organising a night out or movie night with the friends or acquaintances you have around you that you're interested in becoming closer with!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eb2306)
    As other posters have said, going home can seem like a solution to homesickness in the short-term, but is seriously detrimental in the long run. It stops you making meaningful friendships, eats into your studying time, and is a crutch that you become reliant upon. During my undergrad, even if I told myself I would study while I visited home, it never happened, and my grades suffered as a result. Also, how would you feel if you were unable to go home when you planned? Would you be mildly disappointed or would it be a devastating blow? The answer to that question can determine whether you are becoming dependent on going home or not.

This academic year (I'm currently doing a MA), I've only visited home once in the 6 months since I started, and that was for Christmas. If you stay at uni, it allows you to feel more comfortable in your environment, as you can properly develop routines and get a good work/social life/personal care cycle going. By interrupting this to go home, you aren't doing yourself any favours.

ReputationRep:
    When I first moved to university I couldn't wait to get away from home and was excited about the idea of being by myself and away from my nagging family. The first couple of weeks kept me busy and I barely thought of home, probably because I was never fully sober but after freshers week ended all I wanted to do was go home. I ended up staying 7 weeks at uni then I could finally go home for reading week on the 8th week, it was actually great to be back. After that I went home at Christmas for a couple of weeks and then came back to uni on January 15th. I'm next planning on going home on March 22nd and I'm actually really looking forward to it. I still miss home but I've realised that I am actually able to stay in uni for a couple of months without feeling the need to pop back every 5 minutes. The only way that you will truly settle in is if you allow yourself some time away from your family. Going back home all the time isn't giving you the chance to adapt to uni life and is still making you rely on your family. My best advice is don't stay in uni for longer than you're comfortable with but try and stick it out for at least a month at a time.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 10, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.