The Student Room Group

I-

Sorry the TSR website glitched out the title is supposed to say "I-V Diode Circuit Question"
Capture.PNG
My answer:
Attachment not found

The mark scheme:
Attachment not found

What I don't get is why they're so wildly different, what is the curly arrow mean? Why does their circuit have a resistor on it?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
They've drawn that to indicate a variable voltage supply - the 'curly arrow' and resisltor are being used as a potential divider.

To make your circuit complete, you also need to add something to show you are varying the voltage supplied - either the double cell symbol with the arrow through it, or alternatively add a variable resistor in the main part of the circuit (ie beside the cell).

If you can't vary the voltage, you can't produce a graph.
Original post by Retsek
Sorry the TSR website glitched out the title is supposed to say "I-V Diode Circuit Question"
Capture.PNG
My answer:
Attachment not found

The mark scheme:
Attachment not found

What I don't get is why they're so wildly different, what is the curly arrow mean? Why does their circuit have a resistor on it?

I would add some “details” of what phys981 had replied.

The whole setup is also known as a potentiometer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc21wl7NosY

The “curly arrow” represents the movable jockey.

I would not encourage that you use a variable resistor that is connected in series to the power supply and diode. There is a subtle point to this setup because it does not always produce the required I-V graph of a diode -the setup does not give the full range of the required voltages. (A question that I would set to ask students to test their understanding.)

The setup given in the MS would definitely give the full range of the required voltages.

Quick Reply

Latest