Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Sorry the TSR website glitched out the title is supposed to say "I-V Diode Circuit Question"
    Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 14
Size:  23.6 KB
    My answer:
    Attachment 728350728352
    The mark scheme:
    Attachment 728350728352728300

What I don't get is why they're so wildly different, what is the curly arrow mean? Why does their circuit have a resistor on it?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    They've drawn that to indicate a variable voltage supply - the 'curly arrow' and resisltor are being used as a potential divider.

To make your circuit complete, you also need to add something to show you are varying the voltage supplied - either the double cell symbol with the arrow through it, or alternatively add a variable resistor in the main part of the circuit (ie beside the cell).

If you can't vary the voltage, you can't produce a graph.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Retsek)
    Sorry the TSR website glitched out the title is supposed to say "I-V Diode Circuit Question"
    Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 14
Size:  23.6 KB
    My answer:
    Attachment 728350728352
    The mark scheme:
    Attachment 728350728352728300

What I don't get is why they're so wildly different, what is the curly arrow mean? Why does their circuit have a resistor on it?
    I would add some “details” of what phys981 had replied.

The whole setup is also known as a potentiometer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc21wl7NosY

The “curly arrow” represents the movable jockey.

I would not encourage that you use a variable resistor that is connected in series to the power supply and diode. There is a subtle point to this setup because it does not always produce the required I-V graph of a diode -the setup does not give the full range of the required voltages. (A question that I would set to ask students to test their understanding.)

The setup given in the MS would definitely give the full range of the required voltages.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.