• Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    It's University Mental Health Day today and the theme is commUNIty.

A community we're all a part of is The Student Room, so I thought it would be nice if perhaps we could share some tips and advice for managing our mental health at uni

Want to talk more about University Mental Health Day? Check it out here >>>

ReputationRep:
    Access all the help you can get. Don't be too proud to admit you're struggling. A lot of universities have very good support for students with MH problems. Often you need a doctor's note to access much of the support but things like counseling anyone can go to. There is Disabled Student Allowance which also is available to students with MH problems - these can be just as much a disability as physical things. Again, don't be too proud. DSA can really help, even with something as simple as a printer so you don't have to trek to the library/computer lab.

ReputationRep:
    I find that if I choose 1 day of the week and decide that is the day I get my **** together. It helps me feel organised and allows for self-care which I think is so important when it comes to staying mentally healthy. For example, on a Sunday I do my laundry, clean my room, do my shopping, write to do lists, write in my journal, do a face mask or paint my nails, read, do some mindfulness, cook a good meal. Anything that will help u feel better in yourself and that benefits your physical and mental health. I like to do it on Sunday because it gives me a fresh start for the week ahead
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    My top tips would be:

- Reach out to someone the moment you begin realising that you're struggling. There are so many people you can reach out to: family, friends, personal tutors, welfare staff, your GP. Don't wait for things to escalate/snowball before asking for help!

- Make sure you get some kinda fresh air every day if possible. Even just a walk to the shops to buy yourself a snack means you're getting a change of scene :yep:

- Try and do something every day that is not study-related, but is something fun and/or relaxing :yes: For example: in my second year of uni, my tutorial partners and I instituted a tradition we called The Daily Doss. This was an hour a day where we'd just sit in each other's rooms and sip tea and take time out from essay reading/writing :yep:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 1, 2018
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.