Turn on thread page Beta

Manager sent a really nasty, personal attack when I resigned watch

ReputationRep:
    I’m in a state of shock!

I’m a social worker. I was offered a new permanent job as a social worker. The job was going well but the commute was taking me 5 hours a day and as a single mum it was too tough.

I sent an email to my manager explaining that I was finding the commute too much but if there was a part time position available I would consider it. I explained that the decision to leave was purely practical and I had found everyone supportive and friendly during my time there.

My manager replied saying she had not logged onto her emails until 5pm and so a considerable amount of time had been spent worrying about my welfare. By not phoning to state I would not be in I was in breech of my absence policy (which I had never seen).

She then stated that by resigning by email and not ringing to confirm my absence I had showed unprofessionalism and a complete lack of integrity. She said I was not welcome to return to the local authority and would not be accepted for another position with the council there (she doesn’t own the council).

She stated they would also not be providing a reference. She stated I should reflect on this experience as my conduct would not be tolerated in a professional environment!!!

Where I worked previously it was expected that all leave and resignations were done via email. In fact, phoning would not even be accepted! I had not been made aware of the absence policy for this local authority and in hindsight whist it was an error of judgement on my part, I presumed this would also be acceptable at this local authority.

Obviously it’s clear I should have rang. But my email was polite and complimentary. Explaining the reasons I had decided to stay. I explained I was happy to work in a different role within the council and help with a the transition in any way.

It’s not like I sent a text saying **** this job!

I have worked since I was 14 and never had anything but positive comments and references.

It’s clear the manager was angry I was leaving and may have taken her frustrations out on me. But do you not think this is really nasty and unprofessional on her part?

I’ve not replied as I wouldn’t know how to and don’t want to say the wrong thing. I won’t respond angrily as I’m dignified.

Do you think the manager was unkind and unreasonable?

The email has had me in tears most of the day and is something I will find hard to forget.

I’m good st my job so it’s a shame for them the manager wasn’t willing to consider me for a different role (it’s very hard to find experienced social workers).

What would you do with the email? Would you contact HR?

I never signed an employment contract and was only there one week so I don’t need to put them down as an employer thankfully.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Mezza362)
    What is not clear is what you did on this day. Did you decide you couldn't do the job because of the commute, not turn up and send the resignation letter effectively resigning with immediate effect? Eg 0900 were you not in the office, but sent an email saying you were resigning with immediate effect?

ReputationRep:
    I’m in a state of shock!

I’m a social worker. I was offered a new permanent job as a social worker. The job was going well but the commute was taking me 5 hours a day and as a single mum it was too tough.

I sent an email to my manager explaining that I was finding the commute too much but if there was a part time position available I would consider it. I explained that the decision to leave was purely practical and I had found everyone supportive and friendly during my time there.

My manager replied saying she had not logged onto her emails until 5pm and so a considerable amount of time had been spent worrying about my welfare. By not phoning to state I would not be in I was in breech of my absence policy (which I had never seen).

She then stated that by resigning by email and not ringing to confirm my absence I had showed unprofessionalism and a complete lack of integrity. She said I was not welcome to return to the local authority and would not be accepted for another position with the council there (she doesn’t own the council).

She stated they would also not be providing a reference. She stated I should reflect on this experience as my conduct would not be tolerated in a professional environment!!!

Where I worked previously it was expected that all leave and resignations were done via email. In fact, phoning would not even be accepted! I had not been made aware of the absence policy for this local authority and in hindsight whist it was an error of judgement on my part, I presumed this would also be acceptable at this local authority.

Obviously it’s clear I should have rang. But my email was polite and complimentary. Explaining the reasons I had decided to stay. I explained I was happy to work in a different role within the council and help with a the transition in any way.

It’s not like I sent a text saying **** this job!

I have worked since I was 14 and never had anything but positive comments and references.

It’s clear the manager was angry I was leaving and may have taken her frustrations out on me. But do you not think this is really nasty and unprofessional on her part?

I’ve not replied as I wouldn’t know how to and don’t want to say the wrong thing. I won’t respond angrily as I’m dignified.

Do you think the manager was unkind and unreasonable?

The email has had me in tears most of the day and is something I will find hard to forget.

I’m good st my job so it’s a shame for them the manager wasn’t willing to consider me for a different role (it’s very hard to find experienced social workers).

What would you do with the email? Would you contact HR?

I never signed an employment contract and was only there one week so I don’t need to put them down as an employer thankfully.
    I would definitely contact HR they were extremely rude
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    What is not clear is what you did on this day. Did you decide you couldn't do the job because of the commute, not turn up and send the resignation letter effectively resigning with immediate effect? Eg 0900 were you not in the office, but sent an email saying you were resigning with immediate effect?
    I couldn’t go in because of the snow. I sent the email from Home.

ReputationRep:
    Please let me send the reply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jdddd)
    Please let me send the reply.
    What would you say? 🙈😂
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    Then it seems your Manager hasn't understood this. Her response is appropriate for an employee who has just not turned up for work, and then later in the day has sent a resignation letter that doesn't clarify that a) their current absence is due to some other reason and b) they will attend and work out their notice period.

If you a) explained at 0900 you were not in work because of the snow, and then b) separately sent the email resigning but making it clear you would be in the office asap to work your notice, then you are fine and in the right
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    How old are you now?

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, I wouldn't worry about her, if you had no contract and were only there for a week it's hardly going to have a huge impact on your CV, and you've got other people to give you a reference. It's understandable that the manager was feeling frustrated with losing a member of staff so soon after starting but she reacted unprofessionally and came across as pretty pathetic. Just one of those unpleasant people all of us have to deal with at one point or another.

ReputationRep:
    Then it seems your Manager hasn't understood this. Her response is appropriate for an employee who has just not turned up for work, and then later in the day has sent a resignation letter that doesn't clarify that a) their current absence is due to some other reason and b) they will attend and work out their notice period.

If you a) explained at 0900 you were not in work because of the snow, and then b) separately sent the email resigning but making it clear you would be in the office asap to work your notice, then you are fine and in the right
    Yeah I agree with this.

Mezza362 While the response may have been rude I can understand why your manager was annoyed if you didn't turn up and just emailed in a resignation letter. Isn't there a notice period? Did you at least phone before your shift and explain that you wouldn't make it in due to the snow?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

I agree.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.