reliability or validity?

Watch this thread
imundercover
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
i understand the difference between the two - e.g. consistency vs accuracy, but in my evaluation of this particular essay i am struggling to identify whether it lacks validity or lack reliability:

In addition to this, Cotton et al (2009) found that female patients typically function better than males, this may explain why the occurrence of SZ is reportedly much higher in men – as woman may escape diagnosis because their better functioning skills may bias practitioners to under-diagnose SZ. This presents a major problem as men and women with similar symptoms may receive completely different diagnosis’.

^^^ is this a validity or reliability problem? thank you!

(i feel like it's validity but i want to make sure)
basicmacaroon
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
Validity. The diagnostic criteria are failing to accurately identify those who suffer SZ. They therefore are measuring levels of functioning rather than SZ which means they lack validity.
Findlay6
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
If it lacks validity, it also lacks reliability.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (27)
26.21%
As I expected (33)
32.04%
Harder (36)
34.95%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
6.8%

Watched Threads