Turn on thread page Beta

President Putin unveils "invincible" nuclear weapons watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-43239331

Russia has developed a new array of nuclear weapons that are invincible, according to President Vladimir Putin.
    Mr Putin made the claims as he laid out his key policies for a fourth presidential term, ahead of an election he is expected to win in 17 days' time.

The weapons he boasted of included a cruise missile that he said could "reach anywhere in the world". He said of the West: "They need to take account of a new reality and understand ... [this]... is not a bluff."

Sounds like a bluff 😄

Seriously though, I hope this doesn't taunt Trumps to start trying to build a "my nuke is more invincible than your nuke" nuke. I thought we were all meant to be deescalating nuclear weapons not improving them...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninja Squirrel)

Russia has developed a new array of nuclear weapons that are invincible, according to President Vladimir Putin.

he is also asking his adoring people for names for the two new weapons.... perhaps we can help ? :flute:

ReputationRep:
    Putin is very much continuing his tough man act that apparently plays well with the Russian people.
    Russia's nuclear arsenal hasn't really been in danger from US ABM systems that'd get overwhelmed should the unthinkable happen.

It's good to see that Putin has also decided to prevent his only realistic rival from running in the election. Not exactly increasing freedom & democracy.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...rty-six-years/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    he is also asking his adoring people for names for the two new weapons.... perhaps we can help ? :flute:
    MissileyMcMissileFace

ReputationRep:
    Well given the US programme (SDI) which intended to make all Soviet ICBMs obsolete was nicknamed Star Wars is seems appropriate to call them either "Death Stars" or "Strikes Back"

If they have faulty boomerang guidance systems the "Return of the Jedi" might work or if we go out of sync re chronology "Revenge of the Sith" , "Phantom Menace" or just refer to them as "Clones" might work.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Putin is the most powerful man in the world right now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    What did you have in mind :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Russian missile and combustion technology in general is world-leading. US ABM systems are a joke anyway, but this ensures that even in the very unlikely event the US ever manages to put together a somewhat credible missile defence system Russia would still have nothing to worry about deterrance wise (very necessary given NATO's aggressive expansion to Russia's borders).

There's a reason US rockets still use Russian engines to launch their satellites.

ReputationRep:
    What did you have in mind :holmes:
    ermm

i) Vlad's Big Meaty One

ii) Vlad's Mighty Meat Surprise

ReputationRep:
    Most of that is a bluff (no infrastructure for building anything new + soviet legacy is slowly disappearing) but it seems Russia plays North Korea.

Anyway next 10 years will be fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chucke1992)
    Most of that is a bluff
    Is the US having to use Russian engines for their rockets a "bluff" too?

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/space/w...llites-n588526

ReputationRep:
    2 minutes to miiiidnight!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Palmyra)
    Is the US having to use Russian engines for their rockets a "bluff" too?

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/space/w...llites-n588526
    I said most of that.
    Not everything. Also Russian engines are actually soviet legacy. Even the newest ones rely on soviet schemas. Soviets were that great military wise in many areas.

ReputationRep:
    I said most of that.
    Not everything. Also Russian engines are actually soviet legacy.
    You keep talking about Soviet legacy, but without explaining why the US hasn't been able to reach 70s Soviet/Russian technology despite being the world's sole superpower for several decades and having a military budget 10x the size of Russia's.

ReputationRep:
    Most of the things 'unveiled' by Russia are not actually new and have been known about for a few years now. Regardless, Russia's existing ICBMs are more than capable of beating the US's missile defence systems so these announcements aren't really that significant.

Lest we forget that this new arms race was precipitated by the US's unilateral withdrawal from the ABM Treaty and subsequent expansion of NATO forces to Russia's borders.

ReputationRep:

Mr Putin made the claims as he laid out his key policies for a fourth presidential term, ahead of an election he is expected to win in 17 days' time.

The weapons he boasted of included a cruise missile that he said could "reach anywhere in the world". He said of the West: "They need to take account of a new reality and understand ... [this]... is not a bluff."

Sounds like a bluff 😄

Seriously though, I hope this doesn't taunt Trumps to start trying to build a "my nuke is more invincible than your nuke" nuke. I thought we were all meant to be deescalating nuclear weapons not improving them...
    Nutty Trump gets elected this is the outcome.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMEGGGY)
    Nutty Trump gets elected this is the outcome.
    These things have been in the works for many years and known about since the Obama adminstration.

ReputationRep:

Sounds like a bluff 😄

Apparently theyve also developed a nuclear powered nuclear cruise missile - god that was a mouth full - but the only one i've ever heard about was made by the yanks in the cold war and had a bad habit of spewing tonnes of radiation out the back end.
    I feel this 'new cold war' might be able to hot up :L

ReputationRep:
    Most of that is a bluff (no infrastructure for building anything new + soviet legacy is slowly disappearing) but it seems Russia plays North Korea.

Anyway next 10 years will be fun.
    Er I think you'll find your mistaken there. You do know Russia has one of the newest fleet is SLBM/ICBM's around yes? Indeed most of them are from 2007 onwards.
    To underestimate Russia's commitment to its nuclear deterrent would be a serious mistake.

ReputationRep:
    I read that the cruise missile is nuclear powered. So it has limitless range. This is insane!!! If its true, which it most likely is this is ground breaking stuff. Gone is the era where missiles have range...lol

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 9, 2018
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.