Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I'm taking my GCSE's this year and the one subject that I'm the most apprehensive about is Maths.

It's not like I don't get the concepts; I do - even the grade 8/9 stuff. . It's just the way its worded in the exam really puts me off and when I find out what to actually do, it's really easy. It's just deducing the necessary parts of the question that I'm awful at, and no matter how many exam-style questions I do, I still get the same issue.

I feel my logic and reasoning (when it comes to Maths, anyway) isn't exactly helping; how could you develop those skills - and that too in a couple of months? It's really draining m confidence ngl.

Sorry for the long essay and cheers in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Hey man, I understand GCSE's are only a couple months away and not understanding the wording might make you lose confidence, but you need to keep your head held high and keep going. As for wording of questions, usually there are no two questions the same, so from experience completing as many exam papers as you can is the best way forward. If not, maybe you should try having a 1 on 1 session with your teacher and do a Walking-Talking Mock, I found that quite useful when studying myself. Hope you find this helpful and Good Luck in Your Exams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bradley00)
    Hey man, I understand GCSE's are only a couple months away and not understanding the wording might make you lose confidence, but you need to keep your head held high and keep going. As for wording of questions, usually there are no two questions the same, so from experience completing as many exam papers as you can is the best way forward. If not, maybe you should try having a 1 on 1 session with your teacher and do a Walking-Talking Mock, I found that quite useful when studying myself. Hope you find this helpful and Good Luck in Your Exams
    Yeah, do lots of papers for practice, and you'll be set

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for the advice! I'll just have to do literally every single from every exam board (as their content is more or less the same) and hopefully all goes well.

ReputationRep:
    In the same position here but I think what those other comments said is right. Practice papers which is what they all say but it's true, I will do many as well in the next couple of weeks but yeah good luck!

ReputationRep:
    does anyone have the resit November Paper 3?

ReputationRep:
    yeh, like i did my gcses last year and i achieved the grade 9 in maths. the sole reason being i just kept on practicing past papers constantly. when you get into that routine , trust me you would start to understand what they r asking for more easily. wish u the best of luck in ur exams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mehru1214)
    Yeah, do lots of papers for practice, and you'll be set
    Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gurlll)
    In the same position here but I think what those other comments said is right. Practice papers which is what they all say but it's true, I will do many as well in the next couple of weeks but yeah good luck!
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muli5246)
    yeh, like i did my gcses last year and i achieved the grade 9 in maths. the sole reason being i just kept on practicing past papers constantly. when you get into that routine , trust me you would start to understand what they r asking for more easily. wish u the best of luck in ur exams
    Thank you. Do you believe that 2 months is a suffice amount of time to achieve those top grades (i.e. 8/9)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymous_1947)
    Thank you. Do you believe that 2 months is a suffice amount of time to achieve those top grades (i.e. 8/9)?
    im not too sure about the 9 as i dont know the level u r currently working at. but if you place the effort in you will get the grade u want, like my friend was working at a 6 , but he started making the effort and achieved an 8 , so its possible

ReputationRep:
    Two months is more than enough time if you keep to a good revision schedule and make sure you make the revision the right type of revision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muli5246)
    im not too sure about the 9 as i dont know the level u r currently working at. but if you place the effort in you will get the grade u want, like my friend was working at a 6 , but he started making the effort and achieved an 8 , so its possible
    Well in the last mock (in about Nov/Dec), I achieved a grade 7 (reached target grade) so now I'm predicted an 8 but honestly I know it's only 1 grade, but it seems a long way off. But thanks for the reassurance and I will endeavour to work hard and hopefully it will pay off.

ReputationRep:
    Well in the last mock (in about Nov/Dec), I achieved a grade 7 (reached target grade) so now I'm predicted an 8 but honestly I know it's only 1 grade, but it seems a long way off. But thanks for the reassurance and I will endeavour to work hard and hopefully it will pay off.
    No Problem and yeah, just continue to work hard and it will definitely pay off good luck

ReputationRep:
    Two months is more than enough time if you keep to a good revision schedule and make sure you make the revision the right type of revision.
    You're right about that, and sorry for so many questions but what do you mean by the "right" type of revision. Mine just consists of sitting down and watching mathswatch and taking notes (which do help to a large extent). I know we're all different but how did you revise? Thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    You're right about that, and sorry for so many questions but what do you mean by the "right" type of revision. Mine just consists of sitting down and watching mathswatch and taking notes (which do help to a large extent). I know we're all different but how did you revise? Thanks again.
    Well, personally I didnt revise for GCSE, but since I am doing A levels now, I have learned that you experiment with revision techniques until you find the one that works for you. For me now, for Further Maths and Maths, I cant get enough of doing exam papers, i absolutely love it. As for psychology, mindmaps make the work seem so much better than reading from a textbook. It also comes down to your motivation and environment. For me, I love to have music playing in the background, especially Lofi Hip-Hop, Jazz or Acoustic. If sitting down and watching mathswatch helps you out, then by all means carry on, but dont let the videos go to waste, always after watching a video, put it into practice by doing questions on it every so often.

ReputationRep:
    I would say lots of practice papers and break down past questions that really confused you to try and understand the terminology, what they're actually asking you to do is easier to grasp if you look at it chunk by chunk. I can't help you too much since I got a C in Maths. But that's what I did for most of my exams is look at the question and think what do the examiners want from me?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 21, 2018
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.