Turn on thread page Beta

I am perceived as being slow of comprehension and I am feeling unwell because of it watch

Announcements

I don't know what it is but I don't understand what most other people say to me.

This is especially true when they tell it to me in a moderately fast speech, in the day-to-day rush of our lives. It's like they're saying something and my parsing engine can't comprehend it, can't process what they just said. It's like I'm half zombie. It's a serious form of miscommunication, like they are aliens that are speaking in an alien language my brain hasn't learned.

I know I'm not slow - in fact, I know I'm very intelligent. I've passed and aced some very rigorous courses at university including law, anthropology and natural sciences. However, I am a complete failure at math, logic theory and general logical thinking in general. I have a natural talent for drawing. I am one of those people who excels at creative skills but completely fails at more hardcore logical thinking. Why is it that I am great at chemistry but horrible at math? Those two are so closely aligned..
    This must be a right-brain left-brain kind of problem.

Now, back to the problem: when people talk to me, I need time to process what they said. And when I say 'time', I really do mean time, long hours, days, weeks, sometimes months; long, repeated sessions of processing what was said. It all depends on how complex it is and sometimes it doesn't.

This problem has been increasingly troublesome at work lately because everyone is now starting to make fun of me. When I genuinely ask people questions, they take offense and they reply with: "Are you kidding me now?! Seriously?!" and they somehow think I remember what was said in meetings. We have several meetings per day and they expect me to remember the intricate details of every single little concept that was discussed? What am I, a robot? Of course I take meeting minutes but come on.. how can they expect this of me? I want to help the company grow, I want to do my job, but no one is taking me seriously anymore. They've started (including the managers) treating me like I'm the dumbest guy in the entire company - and it's psychologically very consuming and it's making me feel unwell.

People talk to me and I need them to repeat to me ten to a hundred times over what they just said.

I am completely puzzled with this phenomenon. What is wrong with me?

Has anyone experienced this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have a natural talent for drawing.
    I know I am going completely off-topic.

When you were a child, what did you spend most of your time doing? For example, did you colour in colouring books, draw and paint in sketchbooks, and build 3D models using Lego?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I don't know what it is but I don't understand what most other people say to me.

This is especially true when they tell it to me in a moderately fast speech, in the day-to-day rush of our lives. It's like they're saying something and my parsing engine can't comprehend it, can't process what they just said. It's like I'm half zombie. It's a serious form of miscommunication, like they are aliens that are speaking in an alien language my brain hasn't learned.

I know I'm not slow - in fact, I know I'm very intelligent. I've passed and aced some very rigorous courses at university including law, anthropology and natural sciences. However, I am a complete failure at math, logic theory and general logical thinking in general. I have a natural talent for drawing. I am one of those people who excels at creative skills but completely fails at more hardcore logical thinking. Why is it that I am great at chemistry but horrible at math? Those two are so closely aligned..
    This must be a right-brain left-brain kind of problem.

Now, back to the problem: when people talk to me, I need time to process what they said. And when I say 'time', I really do mean time, long hours, days, weeks, sometimes months; long, repeated sessions of processing what was said. It all depends on how complex it is and sometimes it doesn't.

This problem has been increasingly troublesome at work lately because everyone is now starting to make fun of me. When I genuinely ask people questions, they take offense and they reply with: "Are you kidding me now?! Seriously?!" and they somehow think I remember what was said in meetings. We have several meetings per day and they expect me to remember the intricate details of every single little concept that was discussed? What am I, a robot? Of course I take meeting minutes but come on.. how can they expect this of me? I want to help the company grow, I want to do my job, but no one is taking me seriously anymore. They've started (including the managers) treating me like I'm the dumbest guy in the entire company - and it's psychologically very consuming and it's making me feel unwell.

People talk to me and I need them to repeat to me ten to a hundred times over what they just said.

I am completely puzzled with this phenomenon. What is wrong with me?

Has anyone experienced this?
    Hi. Sounds like it could be worth you talking to your school (/college/ uni) or GP about getting an assessment for learning difficulties. They can cause various issues including difficulty processing things like speech.You might like to check out info on learning difficulties online and have a think about if there is anything else a bit "off" about you or that you have some difficulties with.
    It sounds like quite a scary concept, but it's really not. You're still you just as you were before if it does turn out you have something, but now you'll have some better understanding of it and potentially access to support. Not only that but it makes it easier to explain to people why you might need them to repeat things etc.

I have dyslexia and ADD which cause me mild difficulties with various things. Included in that is that I sometimes find it difficult to follow speech (especially if it's noisy, I'm tired or multiple people are talking). Sometimes I'll totally blank out while people are talking and have no idea what they said, sometimes I'll just have some trouble picking up the words, sometimes it's that it takes me a while to process it rather than it being totally automatic. Usually it's not a problem and often I won't even notice it, but there are times it can really get in the way.
    I was undiagnosed until the start of uni and it feels so good knowing if nothing else. It's also meant I can understand and learn to manage things a bit better and that I've been able to access some support like extra time in exams.

I hope that helps. Good luck

(Original post by num.7)
    I know I am going completely off-topic.

When you were a child, what did you spend most of your time doing? For example, did you colour in colouring books, draw and paint in sketchbooks, and build 3D models using Lego?
    I spent most of my time drawing cartoons and doodles and constantly wandering off, reading comic books, playing with lego, trying new things with lego, imagining great things. And yes, later in high school I would also be fascinated by 3D models and I even made a 72000-vertex monument in a 3D program; I am simply fascinated by that stuff.

Most of the time (98%) I would draw these on any random piece of paper (even napkins at a restaurant); it's like an impulse to me, a call for creativity, to see something come alive. Other times, coloring books seemed fun and I did use those but not that often. Later in school, when I would study arts, I would buy the required high-quality paper and materials needed and I even started liking them so much that I started using them too.

Needless to say, I blew everyone away in art classes; no one could compare themselves to me. It's like I am an art genius or something; I instantly understand art lessons and what they are trying to teach me. When I apply these lessons, I excel at them, well above school level, while my peers would struggle for months trying to achieve anything near as high quality as my work, I would just focus for like 20 hours and deliver a masterpiece that could be displayed in a museum (without exaggerating); well, it even happened. I've had people buy and display my work.

(Original post by Kindred)
    Hi. Sounds like it could be worth you talking to your school (/college/ uni) or GP about getting an assessment for learning difficulties. They can cause various issues including difficulty processing things like speech.You might like to check out info on learning difficulties online and have a think about if there is anything else a bit "off" about you or that you have some difficulties with.
    It sounds like quite a scary concept, but it's really not. You're still you just as you were before if it does turn out you have something, but now you'll have some better understanding of it and potentially access to support. Not only that but it makes it easier to explain to people why you might need them to repeat things etc.

I have dyslexia and ADD which cause me mild difficulties with various things. Included in that is that I sometimes find it difficult to follow speech (especially if it's noisy, I'm tired or multiple people are talking). Sometimes I'll totally blank out while people are talking and have no idea what they said, sometimes I'll just have some trouble picking up the words, sometimes it's that it takes me a while to process it rather than it being totally automatic. Usually it's not a problem and often I won't even notice it, but there are times it can really get in the way.
    I was undiagnosed until the start of uni and it feels so good knowing if nothing else. It's also meant I can understand and learn to manage things a bit better and that I've been able to access some support like extra time in exams.

I hope that helps. Good luck
    I suppose I'll have to look into that. Thanks Kindred.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 2, 2018
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.