Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have a tough decision to make and I need your help. I have offers from Glasgow, Southampton, Sheffield and Birmingham for Software Engineering (CS in Birmingham) but I have them narrowed down to Southampton and Sheffield.

What bothers me is that their offers are quite disparate. Southampton is asking for /5.80/ (A*AA) and Sheffield /5.50/ (AAB). The thing is, I am 100% confident that I can get 5.80+ on my high school diploma, so I can't just write them down both, as no matter what I do, I would be forced to take my primary choice. So which uni should I put first?

What I am looking to find out is which of those 2 is better for Software Engineering. From what I've read, Sheffield is an amazing city with a lot going for it, but the uni isn't as prestigious for CS (compared to Soton), while Southampton is one of the best when it comes to CS, but as far as the city is concerned, the responses I've got are in summary "not worth spending 3 years of your life there". I am biased towards Sheffield as I come from a small town in Bulgaria and really love the idea of a big busy city. However, I would be spending 9250/y, so I want to get the best prospects. I've read that Southampton is on par with Imperial and Oxbridge in terms of employability and research.

Perhaps, my real question is whether the prestige and quality of education of Soton trump Sheffield's high student satisfaction and great city. Or, on the contrary, is Sheffield just as well-regarded and the difference in the courses minimal? Minimal enough to be the better choice?

Also, when I look at the modules of each course, I can't really determine which's better. I have little understanding of which modules are important, which are less worthwhile, I don't know what credits are and I don't know how students are graded. I am going in blind here. What I know is that I want the course to be more practical, as I want to focus on the programming aspect of computing, thus choosing Software Engineering as my course. Can anyone compare them for me? Perhaps a Compsci grad?

https://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/programm...re-engineering

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/prospect...do?id=G6002018

Last, but not least, I have to mention that working part-time while studying is going to be crucial to me, therefore I need to know the intensity of the courses. Do software engineering students even have enough free time for such ventures? If anyone's studying at one of those unis, please let me know.

Thank you so much for the taking the time to read this wall of text and help me! I've been pondering at this for months now...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Claydelas)
    I have a tough decision to make and I need your help. I have offers from Glasgow, Southampton, Sheffield and Birmingham for Software Engineering (CS in Birmingham) but I have them narrowed down to Southampton and Sheffield.

What bothers me is that their offers are quite disparate. Southampton is asking for /5.80/ (A*AA) and Sheffield /5.50/ (AAB). The thing is, I am 100% confident that I can get 5.80+ on my high school diploma, so I can't just write them down both, as no matter what I do, I would be forced to take my primary choice. So which uni should I put first?

What I am looking to find out is which of those 2 is better for Software Engineering. From what I've read, Sheffield is an amazing city with a lot going for it, but the uni isn't as prestigious for CS (compared to Soton), while Southampton is one of the best when it comes to CS, but as far as the city is concerned, the responses I've got are in summary "not worth spending 3 years of your life there". I am biased towards Sheffield as I come from a small town in Bulgaria and really love the idea of a big busy city. However, I would be spending 9250/y, so I want to get the best prospects. I've read that Southampton is on par with Imperial and Oxbridge in terms of employability and research.

Perhaps, my real question is whether the prestige and quality of education of Soton trump Sheffield's high student satisfaction and great city. Or, on the contrary, is Sheffield just as well-regarded and the difference in the courses minimal? Minimal enough to be the better choice?

Also, when I look at the modules of each course, I can't really determine which's better. I have little understanding of which modules are important, which are less worthwhile, I don't know what credits are and I don't know how students are graded. I am going in blind here. What I know is that I want the course to be more practical, as I want to focus on the programming aspect of computing, thus choosing Software Engineering as my course. Can anyone compare them for me? Perhaps a Compsci grad?

Last, but not least, I have to mention that working part-time while studying is going to be crucial to me, therefore I need to know the intensity of the courses. Do software engineering students even have enough free time for such ventures? If anyone's studying at one of those unis, please let me know.

Thank you so much for the taking the time to read this wall of text and help me! I've been pondering at this for months now...
    I

This will depend on you. You are correct, Southampton has a world class reputation for CS and CS related subjects (like Software Engineering). Sheffield is by all accounts a good university, but it doesn't have the same strength for CS/CS related subjects that Southampton does. So you have to ask is it more important to get the very best education and opportunities (Southampton) or get a very good education and enjoy your university experience (Sheffield). Where Sheffield does have a slight edge is in the 2nd year they offer a chance to work with companies, which can be invaluable experience.

If it was me and I was spending all that money, I would pick Southampton but then again the "experience" of being at university never really appealed to me. What I would say is you will be in a very good position no matter what university you pick, its just Southampton is a bit stronger for what you want to do. I would also mention that along with Oxbridge, Imperial and Bristol, Southampton CS/SE grads are highly coveted by recruiters in London. It's a very well known and respected university in London. So if you want to work in London after university, Southampton will give you an edge too.

I

Both will be fairly intense, especially in your final year. In your first year, it will be less intense (relatively speaking) so see how you cope with working in the first year, then make a decision based on that. If you find it tough in the first year to do both, I would consider dropping work or restricting yourself to working full time over the summer.

In conclusion, try and decide if it's more important to get the best education (Southampton) or the best experience (Sheffield). I have not studied at either but I have been taught by professors who did their PhDs at Southampton and worked with CS professionals who attended Southampton. They were all exceptional, so perhaps I have a slight bias towards Southampton lol!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for taking the time to write this, it's very detailed and exactly what I needed. I very much appreciate it! You totally sold me on Soton! I do care about experience, but I am indeed going to university to study, not have fun, so education takes priority. I hope I don't regret it, lol. I'll wait a few days in case somebody else wants to express their opinion, otherwise I am putting down Soton as primary and Sheffield as secondary.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for taking the time to write this, it's very detailed and exactly what I needed. I very much appreciate it! You totally sold me on Soton! I do care about experience, but I am indeed going to university to study, not have fun, so education takes priority. I hope I don't regret it, lol. I'll wait a few days in case somebody else wants to express their opinion, otherwise I am putting down Soton as primary and Sheffield as secondary.
    Not sure if I'm within the few days deadline, but as a current CS student at Southampton I'd like to offer an alternative view.

The teaching in this department is very weak. This is not the university to go to if you're after quality teaching. Check out Southampton's low Teaching Excellence Framework for further evidence. I'm studying at masters level and the courses are more basic than my undergrad CS courses (which was at a much lower rated uni), the feedback is appallingly poor and many lecturers turn up having clearly not prepared anything and are just 'winging it'. Overall, it's clear that teaching is not a priority and the academic staff don't really care about the courses.

I don't see that there are any specific opportunities for employment at Southampton, unless you count the emails from the career service advertising unpaid internships at small local companies? Before returning to uni for a masters, part of my job was shortlisting CVs and interviewing for a graduate training programme. I can definitely say that Southampton is not going to give you an edge (don't get me wrong, it wouldn't be a negative, but it also wouldn't impress particularly)

ReputationRep:
    Are you suggesting that Sheffield is the better choice, or just saying why Southampton is bad? As of right now, nobody has said a word for Sheffield's course, so I can't know for sure whether it's in fact better or potentially way worse. For graduate prospects, I found this table, which is very compelling and favors Soton greatly. It's from https://www.gov.uk/government/statis...-by-university, so should be accurate: https://imgur.com/a/J7XJj

Tell me a little more about the city if you have the time, I would really like to know what I would be signing up for. Perhaps some info about the climate as well. Last, but not least, how intensive is the course? More specifically, does one have enough time to work part-time or does the course take it all up?
    P.S. I haven't firmed anything yet.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing a quick bump because the CS section has been booming recently and I might possibly get some fresh responses. Help a brother out, don't have much time left to choose.

ReputationRep:

I am currently an undergraduate at Southampton for EEE which is in the same department as Software Engineering (ECS) and I have some friends who study Computer Science and Software Engineering (They share the same modules for 1st year). This means that you will have flexibility in choosing between CS or SE.

Sheffield was also one of my choices for EEE.

The entry requirements for Soton is higher so you'll be studying with (on average) a more highly skilled cohort of students than you would be at Sheffield.

The CS/SE course at Soton is very intense according to my friends and the university also recommends against part-time working during term time. So this makes Soton not as appealing for you.

As for the city of Southampton, there was a brand new extension of a cinema/plaza of restaurants opened last year. (WestQuay South) There will also be a renovated shopping centre opening in 2019. There are plenty of things to do in the city. The city as a whole has developed quite a lot in the past few years so I'd say it is far from boring. I have never been to Sheffield but for me I prefer to be in a less busy city.

In conclusion, both places has its pros and cons. Just choose the one that suits you more.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, could you tell me why not consider Birmingham?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betty96)
    Hmmm, could you tell me why not consider Birmingham?
    The course there is Computer Science. I thought it would be a good idea to add a CS choice in case I change my mind from Software Eng, but in the end, I decided not to.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 29, 2018
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.