Technology Watch

ray.singh7
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
What laptop should I get? My budget is around £300 and I'm looking for a laptop which has decent specs ( 4 - 8 GB RAM, Windows 10, <250GB hard drive and 14-16" screen - resolution doesn't matter to me) but I can't decide between an AMD or Intel processor. It should be HP/Lenovo and it's mostly going to be used for web browsing, video watching, making projects and a little bit of casual gaming (Fortnite & Steam). BTW I am an engineering student.
Last edited by ray.singh7; 7 months ago
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by ray.singh7)
What laptop should I get? My budget is around £300 and I'm looking for a laptop which has decent specs ( 4 - 8 GB RAM, Windows 10, <250GB hard drive and 14-16" screen - resolution doesn't matter to me) but I can't decide between an AMD or Intel processor. It should be HP/Lenovo and it's mostly going to be used for web browsing, video watching, making projects and a little bit of casual gaming (Fortnite & Steam). BTW I am an engineering student.
"Around £300" and "casual gaming" don't really mix well. You're going to just about scrape into the realm of low power Core i3 processors at this price point that have about as much graphical horsepower as a relatively sophisticated toaster. To use Fortnite as the example as it's the game you've mentioned by name (simply saying you'll be playing "Steam" isn't much of an indicator by the way, it covers everything from the most graphically demanding games ion the market all the way through to solitaire), the integrated graphics of a 7th generation i3 cannot consistently get 30fps at 720p and minimum settings, which you don't have to be a gaming snob to find borderline unplayable.

If budget is your major concern, shop around for one of the many basic Core i3 laptops in the £300-£350 space, ideally with a 7th or 8th gen processor to get the most passable iGPU. If gaming is actually a priority, save until you hit the £500-£600 range and get something with an entry level dedicated GPU like the MX150, or a used laptop with something beefier like a GTX 960M or GTX1050.
ray.singh7
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by Gofre)
"Around £300" and "casual gaming" don't really mix well. You're going to just about scrape into the realm of low power Core i3 processors at this price point that have about as much graphical horsepower as a relatively sophisticated toaster. To use Fortnite as the example as it's the game you've mentioned by name (simply saying you'll be playing "Steam" isn't much of an indicator by the way, it covers everything from the most graphically demanding games ion the market all the way through to solitaire), the integrated graphics of a 7th generation i3 cannot consistently get 30fps at 720p and minimum settings, which you don't have to be a gaming snob to find borderline unplayable.

If budget is your major concern, shop around for one of the many basic Core i3 laptops in the £300-£350 space, ideally with a 7th or 8th gen processor to get the most passable iGPU. If gaming is actually a priority, save until you hit the £500-£600 range and get something with an entry level dedicated GPU like the MX150, or a used laptop with something beefier like a GTX 960M or GTX1050.
Thanks for the help! I think I might have to up my budget to get a decent laptop
esralled
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
A desktop for £300 will run fortnite. A laptop won't.

I would go for an HP, personally. Of all the bloatware laptops come with, HP has the least and is a lot less annoying than Lenovo's.
RoyalSheepy
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Tagging AngryJellyfish to get this moved to the Laptops, netbooks and tablets forum
Rohit Joshi
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Personally at this price range, I would definitely say you should give up the idea of doing gaming like Fortnite on it. If you really want it, get an APU laptop. Otherwise just go for any standard HP laptop which provides good specs (SSD if lucky). Chromebooks are best at this price point in my opinion.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (524)
91.45%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (49)
8.55%

Watched Threads