Turn on thread page Beta

17 year old dropped out of college? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys.

I just need an answer I have looked on the internet but couldn't find anything.

Can I drop out of college at 17 years old to find a job or apprenticeship? I herd that you have to stay in education until 18, is this really true? Do you have to do that? I'm 17 and left college because I didn't like my college course I have applied for jobs and apprenticeships can I do that instead of college?

Thank you
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    A google search seems to say that it depends on the apprenticeship - it could be classed as full time work, education or part time education. Your best bet would to see if the apprenticeships you apply for state what kind they are.

One of my friends just stopped coming to sixth form after the first year and I don't think anything happened other than a social worker visit (which wasn't answered). It may depend on the college and if it is willing to chase up whether you are still in education, so it may not even be relevant.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by GirlyChloex)
    Hello guys.

I just need an answer I have looked on the internet but couldn't find anything.

Can I drop out of college at 17 years old to find a job or apprenticeship? I herd that you have to stay in education until 18, is this really true? Do you have to do that? I'm 17 and left college because I didn't like my college course I have applied for jobs and apprenticeships can I do that instead of college?

Thank you
    Yes you can, just make sure you have the qualifications required for the apprenticeships you'll be applying for.

ReputationRep:
    I am not an expert, but I think the law states you have to be in education or an apprentice when under 18 years old. So providing you are doing an apprenticeship then you should be fine. I know people who went to college and just enrolled in some low contact hour courses and showed up on the odd occasion, but worked full time jobs.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.