Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing exponential distribution. A call costs 15p per minute or part of. Cost of a call is X pence. T minutes is the duration with pdf
    f(t)= ae^(-at).

I need to prove that E(X) = 15/(1-e^(-a))

I already know P(X=15r) = e^(-ra).(e^(a)-1)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaden1998)
    I'm doing exponential distribution. A call costs 15p per minute or part of. Cost of a call is X pence. T minutes is the duration with pdf
    f(t)= ae^(-at).

I need to prove that E(X) = 15/(1-e^(-a))

I already know P(X=15r) = e^(-ra).(e^(a)-1)
    You just then need to sum 15re^(-ra).(e^(a)-1) to find the expectation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RichE)
    You just then need to sum 15re^(-ra).(e^(a)-1) to find the expectation.
    Are you able to go into more detail about the layout and how to start that, I'm still a bit confused. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Are you able to go into more detail about the layout and how to start that, I'm still a bit confused. Thank you
    The sum of kx^k can be worked out by differentiating the sum of x^k and the latter is a geometric series.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RichE)
    The sum of kx^k can be worked out by differentiating the sum of x^k and the latter is a geometric series.
    So I calculated my first term as 1 - e^(-a) and my common ratio as e^(-a) but when I sub unto geometric series formula I get (1 - e^(-a))^15 which is not what I want

ReputationRep:
    So I calculated my first term as 1 - e^(-a) and my common ratio as e^(-a) but when I sub unto geometric series formula I get (1 - e^(-a))^15 which is not what I want
    As I said above the series isn't a geometric series, but it is the derivative of one.

As an alternative perhaps you know the binomial series for (1-x)^(-2).

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.