Turn on thread page Beta

VB1336 - Tattooing of Minors Bill 2018 watch

• View Poll Results: Should this bill be passed into law?
    As many as are of that opinion, Aye
    40.43%
    On the contrary, No
    44.68%
    Abstain
    14.89%

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    B1336 - Tattooing of Minors Bill 2018, TSR Government

A

BILL

TO

A bill to liberalise the laws regarding the tattooing of minors by repealing the Tattooing of Minors Act 1969.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1. Definitions
    (1)“Tattoo” shall mean the insertion into the skin of any colouring material designed to leave a permanent mark.
    (2) “Medical reasons” refers to tattooing needed for medical procedures such as for skin pigmentation related procedures or mastectomies, et cetera.

2. Liberalisation of Tattooing of Minors

(1) Prohibition of tattooing of minors.
    It shall be an offence to tattoo a person under the age of 18 without the consent of a parent or guardian; except when the tattoo is performed for medical reasons by a duly qualified medical practitioner.

(2) It shall be an offence to tattoo a person under the age of 13, except when the tattoo is performed for medical reasons by a duly qualified medical practitioner.

3. Implementation

(1) Violation of this Act by any person shall mean on summary of conviction a fine not exceeding £500 or, in the case of a second or subsequent conviction, to a fine not exceeding £1000.

(2) Age verification, via a passport or other official documentation, will be required before a tattooing can be carried out. This personal data must be retained in compliance with the Data Protection Act 1998.

4. Repeals

(1) This Act hereby repeals the “Tattooing Of Minors Act 1969”.

5. Commencement, short title and extent

(1) This Act may be cited as the Tattooing of Minors Act 2018
    (2) This bill shall extend to the United Kingdom; and
    (3) Shall come into force upon Royal Assent

Notes:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Tattooing is a personal choice and form of self expression which should receive minimal intervention from the state. People should have control of how they express themselves and, as individuals, can do with their body as they wish. This Act even provides extra safeguards for teenagers under 18 years old - by getting parental consent and documented age verification - that want a tattoo whilst retaining all the health and safety guidelines currently in force to protect people from the dangers of tattooing (diseases, mutilation, et cetera).

Repeal link: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1969/24/contents

Changes:
    - 2.1 changed from '16' to '18'

ReputationRep:
    Nay - anyone who wants a tattoo can just wait until they are 18. I mean maybe I was just weird, but I can look back to my younger years and think "wtf why did I do that". At least in my case none of those things will stay on my skin forever.

ReputationRep:
    I fail to see how allowing kids from 13 to be allowed tattoos is beneficial. If 13 year olds arent mature enough to legally have sex, marry, join the military or vote, they arent mature enough for tattoos. Nay.

ReputationRep:
    Mr Speaker,

Can I change my vote to abstain please?

Thanks!
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Political Ambassador
    I’ve abstained on this, not too convinced on the bill but I don’t know in the end whether I actually want to vote against it.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Nay for the reasons that I myself, as well as my honourable friends Scisaac and SuperHuman, have stated.

ReputationRep:
    Mr Speaker,

Sorry to bother you again, but would you please change my vote to a no?

Thanks!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Please change my vote from an aye to a no DayneD89
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by CoffeeGeek)
    Please change my vote from an aye to a no DayneD89
    Well, well, well.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Disappointed to see my former Governmental colleagues change their votes on this bill
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    Disappointed to see my former Governmental colleagues change their votes on this bill
    Same for the Statement of Intent.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Well, well, well.
    Mhm.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Nay, Tattoos are a life changing decision surely only a responsible adult who fully knows the consequences of their actions can make this decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The PoliticalGuy)
    Nay, Tattoos are a life changing decision surely only a responsible adult who fully knows the consequences of their actions can make this decision.
    Perhaps in a nanny state such as the UK but I don't see why it should interfere with private citizens' decisions on matters that do not affect the rest of the population in any way. If an adolescent wants to get a tattoo, it's either his choice or the responsibility of his parents/guardians to get involved and change his mind. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to limit how one can modify his own body and it's precisely the involvement of the state in such personal and trivial matters that piss many people off.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Same for the Statement of Intent.
    A bit different when the former Prime Minister changes his vote on a bill he sanctioned
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    A bit different when the former Prime Minister changes his vote on a bill he sanctioned
    The important word there is former.

I have nothing against the author - I'd like to apologise. The issue didn't matter to me that much which is why I made no fuss over it. Now I'm the former Prime Minister I have every right to change my vote, especially when former cabinet colleagues have changed their vote over things more significant than a little bill.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Political Ambassador
    Since we’re here, might I ask who authored the bill within the former government?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CountBrandenburg)
    Since we’re here, might I ask who authored the bill within the former government?
    Lumos_
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by CountBrandenburg)
    I'd also like to add that it was written quite a while ago, and I'm glad that it was finally put before the house.
    Things more significant than a little bill.
    In that case, we'll ask ns_2 to re-write it to make it much bigger for you then.

Should this thread be closed DayneD89?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    I'd also like to add that it was written quite a while ago, and I'm glad that it was finally put before the house.
    In that case, we'll ask ns_2 to re-write it to make it much bigger for you then.

Should this thread be closed DayneD89?
    Yer, tonights been a bit of a mess. I left more to my bot than it was ready for. Good data for next time I need to use it as much as I've had to tonight.

The Noey have it! The Noes have it!

Unlock!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 7, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.