Turn on thread page Beta

Is it worth getting composite veneers? watch

I hate my teeth. I've had braces but my teeth are out of line with the rest of my face, I don't know how to explain it well but if I hold my head straight and smile, my teeth are on a diagonal and slope down on one side of my face. As in, if my face was level like this (--) then my teeth would be on a line like this (\). Obviously not to that extent, but it's noticeable and it's all I can see when I look at pictures of myself. Additionally, they're quite short and my gums come down quite far.

I've always wanted nice teeth and recently I stumbled across some aesthetic dentists near my hometown. While prices generally aren't available, I found an example of something I would like that said it cost £2500. It's 8 composite veneers (on top middle teeth) and some laser gum lift. From looking online, they should last for between 4-10 years.

Obviously this is a high cost for a student but over the long term, it's not so much and it's something I'm really self conscious about. I have about £5000 in savings (though I'm going on holiday over Easter and will probably spend £500+). I do some matched betting and I aim to make £500 each month. I have a job over Easter which should earn me around £600 (accounting for associated expenses) and I'm due a pretty hefty tax refund at some point (at least a couple hundred pounds). Aside from that, I have odd bits of money coming in, e.g. birthdays and I try to save £30 a week from my student loan. Sorry for the long explanation, but I think it gives more context to the cost of the veneers.

So basically, am I mad to be considering paying that much to fix my teeth? I have the money, just paying for them would halve my savings. That said, it would still leave me with a decent amount for a 20 year old (I think?) and I should earn most of it back in a few months.

TL;DR - want composite veneers as I absolutely hate my teeth, but they're pricey (~£2500). Student so not earning huge amounts. I have the money but it would halve my savings. Could earn it back in a few months through various incomes. Am I crazy to get them?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I hate my teeth. I've had braces but my teeth are out of line with the rest of my face, I don't know how to explain it well but if I hold my head straight and smile, my teeth are on a diagonal and slope down on one side of my face. As in, if my face was level like this (--) then my teeth would be on a line like this (\). Obviously not to that extent, but it's noticeable and it's all I can see when I look at pictures of myself. Additionally, they're quite short and my gums come down quite far.

I've always wanted nice teeth and recently I stumbled across some aesthetic dentists near my hometown. While prices generally aren't available, I found an example of something I would like that said it cost £2500. It's 8 composite veneers (on top middle teeth) and some laser gum lift. From looking online, they should last for between 4-10 years.

Obviously this is a high cost for a student but over the long term, it's not so much and it's something I'm really self conscious about. I have about £5000 in savings (though I'm going on holiday over Easter and will probably spend £500+). I do some matched betting and I aim to make £500 each month. I have a job over Easter which should earn me around £600 (accounting for associated expenses) and I'm due a pretty hefty tax refund at some point (at least a couple hundred pounds). Aside from that, I have odd bits of money coming in, e.g. birthdays and I try to save £30 a week from my student loan. Sorry for the long explanation, but I think it gives more context to the cost of the veneers.

So basically, am I mad to be considering paying that much to fix my teeth? I have the money, just paying for them would halve my savings. That said, it would still leave me with a decent amount for a 20 year old (I think?) and I should earn most of it back in a few months.

TL;DR - want composite veneers as I absolutely hate my teeth, but they're pricey (~£2500). Student so not earning huge amounts. I have the money but it would halve my savings. Could earn it back in a few months through various incomes. Am I crazy to get them?
    See a dentist and see if they would be any good for you first. They may not achieve quite what you think they will on your teeth. I have composite filling on my top two front teeth to make them a better shape, but it's not all sunshine and rainbows having it. Get your teeth looked at and explain that you've been considering this and ask what they think

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 1, 2018
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.