Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm currently in S4, taking my N5's this year. Next year I'll be going into Fifth year, where I can only take 5 subjects, one of which has to be English.

I have been planning to take:
    - Higher Maths
    - Higher English
    - Higher Physics
    - Higher Computing
    - Higher Chemistry

However, we've been hearing about these things called Foundation Apprenticeships. These are a two-year programme where you take up one of your subjects, study for the equivelant of a Higher Award and get some work experience in sixth year. If I was to take this, it'd be a Computing Science - Software Development one, however, as it would take up one of my choices I'm unsure of whether to do it or not. To study Computing Science in University, it looks like Maths, Physics and Computing are the main useful areas - as such Chemistry would be unneeded. I'm currently taking Chemistry as I enjoy it a lot and honestly find it relatively simple - in parts. If I was to apply for the Foundation Apprenticeship, it would replace Chemistry. I'm just not sure if it's the correct choice to make as I enjoy Chemistry and have been intending to do the Higher Course, but this would provide me with extra experience in the area I am intending on progressing into. Would it be a wise choice to pick up Higher Chemistry in Sixth Year? Looking for opinions or insights on the challenges involved in picking up Higher Chemistry in Sixth Year. Would Higher Physics be beneficial to have?

- Kathleen

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    At the moment I'm in S5 and have been doing an FA in Scientific Technologies, and I honestly think a Foundation Apprenticeship is the way to go- you really get the practical experience that employers want, and the classes are reasonably small so it's quite an encouraging and engaging environment. The course could also be beneficial in discovering whether or not you want to do Computing at uni as it would show you potential future career paths to follow.
    If you find Higher Chem reasonably easy and enjoyable, I think it would make sense to take it in S6, as if you plan to take Advanced Highers it could be a bit of a respite compared to them.
    I also have taken a year out of Chemistry and plan to do Higher in S6, so this is probably not beneficial at all to be honest,(sorry) but I really would go for the FA.
    I hope this helps a bit??
    Maybe I can update you on how I get on with chem by the end of the year but obviously the it'll be too late idk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Door76)
    Hi,
    At the moment I'm in S5 and have been doing an FA in Scientific Technologies, and I honestly think a Foundation Apprenticeship is the way to go- you really get the practical experience that employers want, and the classes are reasonably small so it's quite an encouraging and engaging environment. The course could also be beneficial in discovering whether or not you want to do Computing at uni as it would show you potential future career paths to follow.
    If you find Higher Chem reasonably easy and enjoyable, I think it would make sense to take it in S6, as if you plan to take Advanced Highers it could be a bit of a respite compared to them.
    I also have taken a year out of Chemistry and plan to do Higher in S6, so this is probably not beneficial at all to be honest,(sorry) but I really would go for the FA.
    I hope this helps a bit??
    Maybe I can update you on how I get on with chem by the end of the year but obviously the it'll be too late idk
    Thanks for the insight, your description sounds pretty good and as I doubt I'd take up Advanced Higher Chemistry, doing it in Sixth Year may be the best idea, it would be interesting to find out how you cope with it of course, to see the challenges involved

ReputationRep:
    I've also been looking into the FA's and college courses for next year (as you know I'm also doing Nat 5s).

I think it's all down to the practical experience. A lot of places want that when applying to them.
    Sometimes it isnt all about the qualifications (a lot of it is) but the experience is important as well.

I'm absolutely no good at giving advice though!!

ReputationRep:
    I do a FA course also, not computing though, and to be honest it’s actually not the worst thing I’ve done although I HATE my chosen subject as I am one of the first lot of people to do it at my local college. But as each course gives hands on experience, I would defo recommend it as it gives you a taste of what to expect in the job!! Its definitely something I would think about!

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.