Turn on thread page Beta

Photo project on skin lightening watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello everybody,

I am a female German student of photojournalism working on a project about skin lightening in the UK.
    I am interested in the many different ethnic cultures living here and how this background affects young people from these groups in their personal perception of female beauty ideals.
    I have found that for some people it can be difficult to juggle the expectations from their community, like being fair, tall and slender, to find somebody good they can marry, and the "outside" world in Britain where other standards apply.
    Also, I am interested in other motivations to lighten your skin, for example to get a better job or simply personal preferences.

If anyone here feels open to share their point of view I am happy to learn more! You can also pm me if you want to.

Have a great day!

ReputationRep:
    Hello! As a woman of color (Asian-Pacific descent), I used to have terrible issues concerning my skin color. I would buy whitening soaps which was effective somewhat to an extend so I can have my skin tone at least one shade lighter. I guess this stems from seeing the representation found in the media- how many models and actors are white as well as the deep seated colonialism that plagues the country I lived in before.

Moreover, having a lighter skin made me feel attractive and more beautiful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swirlybits)
    Hello! As a woman of color (Asian-Pacific descent), I used to have terrible issues concerning my skin color. I would buy whitening soaps which was effective somewhat to an extend so I can have my skin tone at least one shade lighter. I guess this stems from seeing the representation found in the media- how many models and actors are white as well as the deep seated colonialism that plagues the country I lived in before.

Moreover, having a lighter skin made me feel attractive and more beautiful.
    Hey swirlybits, thanks so much for your reply! I wonder, did you have these issues while living in the country you lived before or also in the UK? Also, you are writing in the past, so did something happen to change your mind about having lighter skin?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.