The Student Room Group

Further maths

Hi,
by the summer I will have done C1-C4 FP1 FP2 and S1

I am taking a year out and want to do further maths, should I do the new spec (there will be overlap so it could be easier)

or do I do the old spec? I hate stats so I would do M1-M3 FP3 and D1

which am I more likely to get an A* in?
Original post by yusyus
Hi,
by the summer I will have done C1-C4 FP1 FP2 and S1

I am taking a year out and want to do further maths, should I do the new spec (there will be overlap so it could be easier)

or do I do the old spec? I hate stats so I would do M1-M3 FP3 and D1

which am I more likely to get an A* in?

I'm not sure what you mean
If that is all you will have taken exams for by summer 2018 then the only thing you can cash in fora qualification is old spec A level Pure Maths. S1 would be redundant.
You can't take A level Further Maths new spec this summer and could not take any new units of old spec in summer 2019.
Reply 2
Original post by gdunne42
I'm not sure what you mean
If that is all you will have taken exams for by summer 2018 then the only thing you can cash in fora qualification is old spec A level Pure Maths. S1 would be redundant.
You can't take A level Further Maths new spec this summer and could not take any new units of old spec in summer 2019.

I was told I could still take new old spec modules if I didn't cash in because I can say I was doing a level further maths and just do the legacy papers.
Original post by yusyus
I was told I could still take new old spec modules if I didn't cash in because I can say I was doing a level further maths and just do the legacy papers.

Who told you that? I don't think it is correct. Summer 2019 legacy papers sre supposed to be resits only. I'd recommend you check direct with your examiner.
Reply 4
Who told you that? I don't think it is correct. Summer 2019 legacy papers sre supposed to be resits only. I'd recommend you check direct with your examiner.

could I not put a case forward for that I'm resitting the whole a level as a whole?
Original post by yusyus
could I not put a case forward for that I'm resitting the whole a level as a whole?

Ask your examiner but I don't think you could argue that. Have you discussed your plans with the exam centre where you have booked to take the exams? They should know or be able to confirm it with their examiner contacts. My understanding is you must have taken the units in summer 2018 or before or at least been entered for them and maybe missed some due to a problem such as ill health.
Reply 6
Ask your examiner but I don't think you could argue that. Have you discussed your plans with the exam centre where you have booked to take the exams? They should know or be able to confirm it with their examiner contacts. My understanding is you must have taken the units in summer 2018 or before or at least been entered for them and maybe missed some due to a problem such as ill health.

idk, I got that information from my maths teacher :frown: so I think ill email my exam board, thanks for the info
Original post by yusyus
idk, I got that information from my maths teacher :frown: so I think ill email my exam board, thanks for the info

Just checking we are talking about a UK A level and not an intrnational A level? The timetable for new edexcel international A levels is different to the uk.
Reply 8
Just checking we are talking about a UK A level and not an intrnational A level? The timetable for new edexcel international A levels is different to the uk.

nah it is UK a level maybe she was just wrong, ill ask her again; its not the first time shes been wrong about this kinda thing

Quick Reply

Latest