Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ex-muslim hijabi... unfortunately AMA watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cat_mac)
    How much is people patronising and trying to educate you on islam, something you are clearly very educated in, making you want to go back?

People act like if you want to leave then you’re in the wrong and you’ve somehow missed something. It sounds like you’ve made an educated decision and I hope you get to a place where you feel comfortable in what you wear, whatever you choose.
    thank you so much!
    It is funny, because I get moderate muslims trying to debate me on this but they have no idea how much I've studied islam and how conservative I used to be, Usually they are very uneducated. There was one thread I made on anon and I said ive studied Islamic theology and @MiszshorTea786 tried to degrade me by making references to arabic grammar to suggest I have no idea what she was talking about. I wanted to reply and tell her that I studied Arabic for six years and got an A in GCSE arabic but the thread was blocked because I swore on there. It was the most frustrating moment ever lol... because miss shortee went away from that thread thinking im an idiot.

Read this:
    Spoiler:
    Show

ALso.. thsi has nothing to do with the thread but I've noticed so many ugly threads about you, I'm sorry about that and I hope they stop. You seem like a nice person.

ReputationRep:
    Congrats on the beginning of your journey to freedom!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninja Squirrel)
    It's funny that she called you out as not having an answer lol, I think everyone here knows you're more than capable of putting up a good argument to just about anything religion related.

I think MiszshorTea786 is bored and wants another juicy debate 😁
    that sounds so sarcastic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justanotherchica)
    thank you so much!
    It is funny, because I get moderate muslims trying to debate me on this but they have no idea how much I've studied islam and how conservative I used to be, Usually they are very uneducated. There was one thread I made on anon and I said ive studied Islamic theology and @MiszshorTea786 tried to degrade me by making references to arabic grammar to suggest I have no idea what she was talking about. I wanted to reply and tell her that I studied Arabic for six years and got an A in GCSE arabic but the thread was blocked because I swore on there. It was the most frustrating moment ever lol... because miss shortee went away from that thread thinking im an idiot.

Read this:
    Spoiler:
    Show

ALso.. thsi has nothing to do with the thread but I've noticed so many ugly threads about you, I'm sorry about that and I hope they stop. You seem like a nice person.
    She probably would have ignored it anyway, anything that doesn’t fit her perception of life seems to be swept under the rug.

(and thanks, pretty sure it’s just one guy who’s a serial troll. Mods always manage to sort it out pretty quickly so it’s not so bad. :yep: )
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Jheinexx)
    that sounds so sarcastic.
    How so? From what I've seen he knows a lot about Islam, he might get some things wrong but he holds his own in a debate. Him and MiszShortee are like clash of the titans when it comes to debating Islam.

ReputationRep:
    well I annswered the first question already
    I didn't tell anyone and I have been secretly agnostic/atheist for about 2 years.
    I told my family the other day, surprisingly they didnt react violently. but my mum has expressed distate and hatred towards this and is constantly on my case thinking that im going to hell. My sister when she realised I know will completely degrade and hurt me. My family degrade me a lot. Most of my friends don't know... but my old friends when they realised I was becoming religious they told me they didnt want to be friends with me and left me. That hurt a lot.

Yes! there was a particular event. I attended a lecture at Oxford University regarding the enlightenment period and this brilliant professor was talking about how religion lacked any scientific knowledge and that it could not help us understand the world. He was referring to Christianity but it really struck me because I've never heard someone say that before. I wanted to raise my hand and say that Islam was a scientific religion ( I was heavily brainwashed at the time) but then I had an epiphany and thought that if Islam was truly scientific then this extremely intelligent professor and thousands of other intellectuals and scientists would be full of praise for islam... but they're not and that obviously means there is something wrong with that. It was a profound moment for me and for the first time I realised that it might not be the true religion. I start doing more research after that and now I'm an ex-muslim.

Thanks for showing interest
    This is interesting, my question to you is do you not think these enlightened and brilliant professors can only really discuss what they are exposed to and so may not be best placed at discussing Islam?

Also there are lots of people who are incredibly intelligent and are deeply religious. For example, many of my friends at the Uni of Cambridge were deeply religious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 12s_r)
    How is it possible that one professor can determine whether or not a religion is scientific or not... :confused::confused:
    IDK, how many people do you think it takes to determine it? All it takes is the ability to subject a claim to rational examination. Is there a specific number required to do that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninja Squirrel)
    How so? From what I've seen he knows a lot about Islam, he might get some things wrong but he holds his own in a debate. Him and MiszShortee are like clash of the titans when it comes to debating Islam.
    You said good argument which means you think he’s right most the time even though what he says about islam is always negative?

ReputationRep:
    thank you so much!

Read this:
    Spoiler:
    Show

It's a fairly standard reaction tbh, many Muslims get upset at the fact that someone who was once part of their religion is no longer convinced by it. They therefore often resort to trying to delegitimise the ex-Muslim by coming up with a whole set of pre-prepared excuses. I'm sure you've heard them all before, things like:

- "You were never really Muslim in the first place"

- "You left Islam to follow your own desires"

- "You've been brainwashed by the media"

- "You're confusing Islam with culture"

- "You don't have a good understanding of the Quran because you've never read it in Arabic"

- "You've been led astray by Satan"

- "Western, immoral society has corrupted you"

etc. etc.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    You said good argument which means you think he’s right most the time even though what he says about islam is always negative?
    I never said he's right, I said he's good at debating and can hold a good argument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No1 PIMP)
    That's because there is nothing positive about Islam.
    Nothing? Absolutely nothing? Zakah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 12345username)
    I understand that you don't want to be muslim, fair enough you were forced into it and didn't get a choice and you don't agree with it , however i don't see the point in making this thread because honestly it just spreads hate, i don't wear hijab, i enjoy learning about the religion.
    She's allowed to speak her mind without being cajoled into silence because of the "hate" bogeyman.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 12345username)
    I understand that you don't want to be muslim, fair enough you were forced into it and didn't get a choice and you don't agree with it , however i don't see the point in making this thread because honestly it just spreads hate, i don't wear hijab, i enjoy learning about the religion.
    All religious quotes have different interpretations btw, i don't believe all non muslims go to hell, because its not that simple, God decides because everyones different everyones sinned, there are muslims who sin more than non muslims.
    I think you should go uni and have freedom and then look at Islam again after as you won't be forced into it and you can see the good parts.
    But honestly this thread is stupid bc it allows people to insult the religion indirectly

well... that's just freedom of speech but not really cuz it's indirect
    yes but Muslims who have raped or murdered or who have done terrible things although will burn in hell, they eventually get sent to heaven right? whilst even the best of non muslims burn in hell forever and ever ever.

if you wanna discuss go to this thread:
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...4#post76373504

ReputationRep:
    They are talking about debating styles. Planta is good at debating and supporting what he says, as well as admitting when he is wrong - overall, he's very credible. Miss Shortwhatever, isn't. When she's called out on something she can't answer (happens a lot) she'll tyically either develop some selective answering, or she'll just disappear completely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Volibear)
    They are talking about debating styles. Planta is good at debating and supporting what he says, as well as admitting when he is wrong - overall, he's very credible. Miss Shortwhatever, isn't. When she's called out on something she can't answer (happens a lot) she'll tyically either develop some selective answering, or she'll just disappear completely.
    Maybe he is but i’ve never seen him admitting he was wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninja squirrel)
    how so? From what i've seen he knows a lot about islam, he might get some things wrong but he holds his own in a debate. Him and miszshortee are like clash of the titans when it comes to debating islam.
    who do you think is better?
    Anyways,ash92 and tazrooni89 beat them both

ReputationRep:
    Nothing? Absolutely nothing? Zakah
    Lol please we all know that Zakat is a time when Muslims give to other Muslims that are less fortunate than the affluent.

Islam preaches looking after your own.

If you're an outsider aka a Kafir you're shunned.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe he is but i’ve never seen him admitting he was wrong.
    Maybe he hasn't needed to whenever you've come across a debate he's involved in.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Volibear)
    They are talking about debating styles. Planta is good at debating and supporting what he says, as well as admitting when he is wrong - overall, he's very credible. Miss Shortwhatever, isn't. When she's called out on something she can't answer she'll either develop some selective answering, or she'll just disappear completely.
    Not from what I've seen. She always refers to supporting evidence from the Quran or hadiths and she seems to have great knowledge of Islam.

Holding a good argument means to explain your reasoning clearly, keeping a cool head, not resulting to personal insults etc. Both of them are good at doing that, hope that clarifies it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No1 PIMP)
    Lol please we all know that Zakat is a time when Muslims give to other Muslims that are less fortunate than the affluent.

Islam preaches looking after your own.

If you're an outsider aka a Kafir you're shunned.
    So not true. Stop acting like you know us all. We help anyone in need

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.