Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am in an unusual position. Several years ago I studied a PGCE in Primary Education. I enjoyed my placements but I still had some progress to make as we approached the end of the year. I originally had the option to resit, but I was worried about supporting my family during the resit. Financially, I couldn't afford to pay extra tuition fees and I would no longer have the bursary to help. I was under extreme pressure and I decided to withdraw from QTS with the intention of returning to teaching when the time was right.

After working as a TA for a while, I am now eager to study the PGCE again. I've had a lot of experience in the meantime and am happy I would pass this time. I've also managed to secure funding. My question is this: how much of this should I address in my personal statement? I've spoken to one providor today who said that this will be asked about at interview, but obviously I have to mention it in my statement. The question is how much do I say? The characters are obviously limited and I don't want to run out of room to 'sell myself' and my experience. Help!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by alabelle)
    I am in an unusual position. Several years ago I studied a PGCE in Primary Education. I enjoyed my placements but I still had some progress to make as we approached the end of the year. I originally had the option to resit, but I was worried about supporting my family during the resit. Financially, I couldn't afford to pay extra tuition fees and I would no longer have the bursary to help. I was under extreme pressure and I decided to withdraw from QTS with the intention of returning to teaching when the time was right.

After working as a TA for a while, I am now eager to study the PGCE again. I've had a lot of experience in the meantime and am happy I would pass this time. I've also managed to secure funding. My question is this: how much of this should I address in my personal statement? I've spoken to one providor today who said that this will be asked about at interview, but obviously I have to mention it in my statement. The question is how much do I say? The characters are obviously limited and I don't want to run out of room to 'sell myself' and my experience. Help!
    Let your referee talk about this and focus on you and why you are a good candidate for the course in your PS. If you have extenuating circumstances you can also submit those.

Tagging in Interrobang who is our teaching PS helper.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Your PS should focus on why you are a suitable candidate, rather than why you couldn't do it before. If you do talk about it, make it brief (you have too much else to include!) and talk about it in a positive way

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 2, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.