Turn on thread page Beta

How do I memorise pages of information? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've got a HUGE Science mock in which I need at least 80% in, and to do that have to know B1, B2, P3 and P4 inside out (AQA.) If you aren't familiar with that it is 4 topics and around 35/40 sub- topics. I've condensed all the topics onto a word document which is around 8/9 word pages. How can I get all that information into my brain by March 12th, the day of my mock!? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Don't do that. Summarise. Summarise and condense your notes.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I have but it's still around 8 pages long completely summarised, simply because it's so many topics. Any advice?

(Original post by Pearlfection1)
    Don't do that. Summarise. Summarise and condense your notes.

ReputationRep:
    I was just gonna suggest summarising your notes. Take your notes page by page and summarise them.

Also if you have access to passed papers, answer relevant questions from those (with and without notes)!
    Good luck for your mock!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by independentx)
    I was just gonna suggest summarising your notes. Take your notes page by page and summarise them.

Also if you have access to passed papers, answer relevant questions from those (with and without notes)!
    Good luck for your mock!!
    I have but it's still around 8 pages long completely summarised, simply because it's so many topics. Any advice?

Thanks, past papers and questions will be done in mass!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    highlight key words.

ReputationRep:
    Some ideas:

Rewrite the info in small chunks.
    Make a rap about it/add the words to the tune of a song you already know
    Make mnemonics/acronyms
    Record yourself saying it and listen back when you don't have time to get out the papers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alextheowl)
    Some ideas:

Rewrite the info in small chunks.
    Make a rap about it/add the words to the tune of a song you already know
    Make mnemonics/acronyms
    Record yourself saying it and listen back when you don't have time to get out the papers
    Thanks, that was helpful.

ReputationRep:
    I use the scribble technique
    1. Take 1 page from your notes
    2. Take the page and try and memorise (just by reading it) as much of that page as possible in 30 seconds (use a stopwatch to time yourself)
    3. Turn the page over and re-write as much as you remember from the sheet
    4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until you can re-write that same page out fully (2/3 times)
    5. Do this for the remaining sheets

NB. You can try this with smaller sizes of info e.g. try memorizing half a page at a time etc. If you try and get through 2 pages a day for 4 days, then repeat it, you should smash the exam!

Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatboylemon)
    I use the scribble technique
    1. Take 1 page from your notes
    2. Take the page and try and memorise (just by reading it) as much of that page as possible in 30 seconds (use a stopwatch to time yourself)
    3. Turn the page over and re-write as much as you remember from the sheet
    4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until you can re-write that same page out fully (2/3 times)
    5. Do this for the remaining sheets

NB. You can try this with smaller sizes of info e.g. try memorizing half a page at a time etc. If you try and get through 2 pages a day for 4 days, then repeat it, you should smash the exam!

Good Luck!
    I honestly cannot thank you enough. That technique sounds incredible and tomorrow I’ll be sure to use it! What are you studying for and what country are you from? I’m in England so hopefully I don’t have school tomorrow because of the snow! ☺️

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s.m30)
    I honestly cannot thank you enough. That technique sounds incredible and tomorrow I’ll be sure to use it! What are you studying for and what country are you from? I’m in England so hopefully I don’t have school tomorrow because of the snow! ☺️
    I'm from England. I'm 2nd year college and I study Maths, Furthers Maths, Economics and Spanish at A Level

ReputationRep:
    I'm from England and I study Maths, Furthers Maths, Economics and Spanish
    Awesome. What GCSE grades did you end up getting? Also how much revision was done in the summer from year 10 to year 11?

ReputationRep:
    I won't lie. If it was me...2 weeks, 8.5 pages. I would just memorise word by word. I assume you're in GCSE? So that's like nothing, you lot just play xbox games all day long anyway. But then I'm east european raised, I find most people and kids in the west do not have the mental eficiency of eastern people because the education is dumb easy.

But seriously, my answer to your question is memorise it. Is it that hard?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s.m30)
    Awesome. What GCSE grades did you end up getting? Also how much revision was done in the summer from year 10 to year 11?
    I got 11 A*s and 2 As, I didn't revise till like a month before but I just paid attention a lot in class.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arramu)
    I won't lie. If it was me...2 weeks, 8.5 pages. I would just memorise word by word. I assume you're in GCSE? So that's like nothing, you lot just play xbox games all day long anyway. But then I'm east european raised, I find most people and kids in the west do not have the mental eficiency of eastern people because the education is dumb easy.

Chill dude. What’s ‘you lot’. I don’t sit around and play Xbox games all day, and neither do most people who want to leave the exam room feeling like they know they got 90%+. Seriously, take a chill pill and go back to aiming for a C. Bye!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arramu)

Why you acting like you're way smarter than us lol and like you're superior just cause you're eastern European hahaha

You don't memorise. You understand and you summarise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starfab)
    You don't memorise. You understand and you summarise
    I memorised and I got 11 A*s and already have an A* in A Level Maths 😂 if you’ve got 12 days to get the best grade possible you don’t have time to summarise and understand. After you get an A+ then you can focus on understanding.

I memorised and I got 11 A*s and already have an A* in A Level Maths 😂 if you’ve got 12 days to get the best grade possible you don’t have time to summarise and understand. After you get an A+ then you can focus on understanding.
    Then memorise. @OP to memorise you need to constantky repeat it. Take a section, Go over a few times, then few hours later, go over it again.If you can last thing before you sleep go over it and when you wake up try to go over it without your notes.
    I still call understanding over memorising.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starfab)
    Then memorise. @OP to memorise you need to constantky repeat it. Take a section, Go over a few times, then few hours later, go over it again.If you can last thing before you sleep go over it and when you wake up try to go over it without your notes.
    I still call understanding over memorising.
    I will do. Thanks for the advice!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.