Turn on thread page Beta

Is it worth re-reading the novel/play 9 weeks before exams start? (GCSE) watch

ReputationRep:
    We studied Jekyll and Hyde in year 10 so by now I barely remember it and I'm in the same situation with An Inspector Calls. I barely know the story of J+H but I managed in the mock to get by ok. With time running out would it be worth a re-read? J+H is only 54 pages (roughly) and I should be able to skim read AIC as I'm more confident with how the play goes, characters and quotes.

Would I be better off just learning key quotes and themes or actually reading it as well? English is my weakest subject so I'd be happy with a grade 6. I was just concerned as someone said last year it wasn't the typical theme or character question for J+H, it was about where help is offered/needed.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    read it and learn key quotes but skim-read it if you don't have time. definitely read last two chapters properly though, the letters are really important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zocar)
    We studied Jekyll and Hyde in year 10 so by now I barely remember it and I'm in the same situation with An Inspector Calls. I barely know the story of J+H but I managed in the mock to get by ok. With time running out would it be worth a re-read? J+H is only 54 pages (roughly) and I should be able to skim read AIC as I'm more confident with how the play goes, characters and quotes.

Would I be better off just learning key quotes and themes or actually reading it as well? English is my weakest subject so I'd be happy with a grade 6. I was just concerned as someone said last year it wasn't the typical theme or character question for J+H, it was about where help is offered/needed.
    it would help you re reading the text fro definite, making sure you highlight and make notes on key points and quotes. It is vital that you remember quotes for the whole play to as the second part to any question for a text is how does the writer show... about (the character) in the text as a whole

ReputationRep:
    54 pages is nothing, you could read that in an hour.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bio 7)
    54 pages is nothing, you could read that in an hour.
    I understand that but I'm such a slow reader with books that 12 pages is about 20mins. I've got 2 plays to revise and possibly read, An Inspector Calls and Macbeth so don't want to waste my time re reading books for a GCSE I'll forget about after results day. But I'm willing to if it will be worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ammaarah Patel)
    it would help you re reading the text fro definite, making sure you highlight and make notes on key points and quotes. It is vital that you remember quotes for the whole play to as the second part to any question for a text is how does the writer show... about (the character) in the text as a whole
    Thank you! I tend to be fine for quotes from the first half of the novel by I barely have any for the last half so I'll probably focus more on that then.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 2, 2018

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.