Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I want to work in poetry but I have no idea how even to begin any sort of work in this field, does anyone know where I could look or even if there's jobs in this field?

I'm like you. I wanted to be a professional poet as well. The problem is there's not really such a thing. You don't apply, go to an interview, and become a poet.

Most professional writers, and artists on general, do something else for a career and write in their spare time. It's definitely possible to make money with it, it's extremely difficult to make minimum wage and near impossible to make it your own career.

Even the most successful poets and writers, like ted Hughes or Aldous Huxley, were teachers and lecturers alongside writing. Poe and the Brontë sisters all died in poverty.

If you want to start your writing career, you'll need to speak at open mic events, enter competitions, get published in journals and pamphlets, and send anthologies to publishers. Again, becoming the next GRRM or Kurt Vonnegut is not impossible - but as close to it as it comes.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 2, 2018
What's the best type of cheese?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.