Turn on thread page Beta

Is there an LGBTQIA+ sub forum? watch

• CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    That isn't necessarily related to sexual health?
    Strikes me as odd that there isn't a subforum/safe space for the TSR queer community on here?

I haven't been here in ages, so if there is and I've totally missed it, a link would be great. Ta.

ReputationRep:
    Not to come across as rude or anything what's the I and A?

I've always known it as LGBT+
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Bulletzone)
    Not to come across as rude or anything what's the I and A?

I've always known it as LGBT+
    No worries. A quick google could have answered that but to be fair, it can also be confusing.

The I is intersex, A is Asexual.
    The A can also be Agender but the LGBT+ acronym is usually for sexuality descriptors (or lack of) rather than gender expressionisms (or lack of).

LGBT+ although traditional, is restrictive, as it does not account for those who do not prescribe to the idea of binary genders/expressionisms and the spectrum in-between the binary.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure there are some societies for LGBT+, never been in any so idk if they're a safe space or not.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Isn't the T a type of gender expression tho?

ReputationRep:
    I stopped paying attention past LGB, tbqh.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Tosspot)
    Pretty sure there are some societies for LGBT+, never been in any so idk if they're a safe space or not.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Isn't the T a type of gender expression tho?

Oh I know most uni's will have at least one LGBT society, I just wondered why that wasn't reflected on the forum. I'm just nosing about after several years of not being active/being a student is all!

And yes you're right, the T is a gender expression and so's the I. I guess a better explanation in my initial post should have been, whilst the LGBT+ is mostly about sexual expressions, it does also include some gender ones as well.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by TCA2b)
    I stopped paying attention past LGB, tbqh.
    Unfortunate. :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by La Trampa)
    Unfortunate. :|
    Not at all. As someone who likes to bugger other guys, it's the only relevant part to me insofar as sexual orientation is concerned. The rest pertains to ideological or sociological aspects I could not frankly care less about, and could easily be forked into an entirely separate movement.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by TCA2b)
    Not at all. As someone who likes to bugger other guys, it's the only relevant part to me insofar as sexual orientation is concerned. The rest pertains to ideological or sociological aspects I could not frankly care less about, and could easily be forked into an entirely separate movement.
    One could argue that your reasoning comes from a place of cis-privilege, even potentially ignorant. But! It wasn't the original intention of this thread and I'm not here to do discuss your views (each to their own etc etc). I will say that whilst it's easy to not concern oneself with the other individuals within the community and the issues they face, it is also supportive of the community to keep abreast of matters pertaining to it, whether it directly affects you or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by La Trampa)
    Oh I know most uni's will have at least one LGBT society, I just wondered why that wasn't reflected on the forum. I'm just nosing about after several years of not being active/being a student is all!

And yes you're right, the T is a gender expression and so's the I. I guess a better explanation in my initial post should have been, whilst the LGBT+ is mostly about sexual expressions, it does also include some gender ones as well.
    Fair enough. I didn't mean the uni societies, I meant ones like this, but they're not that big or anything anyways.
    There are threads on here dedicated to LGBT+ issues, but they're definitely not safe spaces.
    :dontknow: I enjoy the the arguing/discussing anyway, so I may have missed a tonne of threads in the more socially oriented forums.
    Good luck in your search, my dude.

ReputationRep:
    Lgbtqia+1zjehrunk23dc4x2m0

ReputationRep:
    I am simply saying I find the merger of those differing movements confused. I don’t buy into the usual SJW privilege narratives or find them compelling (they’re a rehash of the very flawed Marxian class theory translated to other domains), so it’s a non starter. Suffice it to say that that particular addendum to the LGB aspect is not on I hold much common ground with. Good luck in finding what you’re after anyway.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 2, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.