Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    So I'm in year 12 and have been studying drama, Spanish and history since September. So yeah, I've been doing them a while now.
    Unfortunately, I really don't think Spanish is going very well. I've just had my second set of mocks and I am struggling. I really liked the subject and I didn't think anything was wrong until I noticed my mock grades are going downhill...
    I know its early days and I could keep trying but I'm somebody who has a lot of stress and anxiety issues so I don't think it'd be good for me to continue the subject. Obviously, I'm only doing 3 A levels which is also an issue.
    I was wondering if any of you know if it's possible to switch A levels? I know its very late in the year but I've made a wrong decision and I don't want it to take a toll on my future.
    I'd like to switch to Media Studies because I got a distinction in it at GCSE and the students are only doing coursework this year which I could catch up on. Exam stuff is next year, so I'd be up to date by then. Also my schedule would replace Spanish with media so it could work.
    I just don't know if my school would let me do this? Has anybody had an similar problems? I would rather not retake a year btw - at very least pick up media in year 13? Can anything be done about my situation?
    Thank you
    Cait xo

ReputationRep:
    How is it 'early days' lol - theres a matter of weeks till exams - ur f*#ked if you ask me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ak76)
    How is it 'early days' lol - theres a matter of weeks till exams - ur f*#ked if you ask me
    i mean im sure that you dont have exams for most subjects in year 12 anymore

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ak76)
    I meant early days as in like I have the whole of year 13 to improve my Spanish as well. But I just don't feel very confident that it's going to progress. I'm sure if I studied extra hard I could get a pass maybe D-C. I just feel like media would be better suited to me and I'd do better in that subject.

ReputationRep:
    if you drop an a level, you can do other one year qualifications next year that would be equivalent. if spanish isn’t for you, don’t stress yourself out with it!

ReputationRep:
    i would retake yr 12

ReputationRep:
    Grass always looks greener on the other side, media looks like a dream but then you might start it and hate it just as much. A Levels are hard, you've just got to plough on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrscrazyperson)
    Hi everyone,
    So I'm in year 12 and have been studying drama, Spanish and history since September. So yeah, I've been doing them a while now.
    Unfortunately, I really don't think Spanish is going very well. I've just had my second set of mocks and I am struggling. I really liked the subject and I didn't think anything was wrong until I noticed my mock grades are going downhill...
    I know its early days and I could keep trying but I'm somebody who has a lot of stress and anxiety issues so I don't think it'd be good for me to continue the subject. Obviously, I'm only doing 3 A levels which is also an issue.
    I was wondering if any of you know if it's possible to switch A levels? I know its very late in the year but I've made a wrong decision and I don't want it to take a toll on my future.
    I'd like to switch to Media Studies because I got a distinction in it at GCSE and the students are only doing coursework this year which I could catch up on. Exam stuff is next year, so I'd be up to date by then. Also my schedule would replace Spanish with media so it could work.
    I just don't know if my school would let me do this? Has anybody had an similar problems? I would rather not retake a year btw - at very least pick up media in year 13? Can anything be done about my situation?
    Thank you
    Cait xo
    I'm currently in Year 13, but back when I was in year 12 I picked up A level Psychology around about this time last year (Jan/Feb 2017), as well as doing 3 other A levels already. The decision was because I wanted to have a better chance of having three core A Levels which I was doing well in. It was a risk as I'd never studied the subject before, and had missed 5 months of the course at the time I started.
    To make matters more difficult, I was placed in a year 13 class (whilst being in year 12) and had to start with the Year 2 course because Psychology clashed with my other three subjects timetable so it was the only way of doing the subject. This made it an ever bigger risk.
    Luckily it worked out in my favour, I found out that I really enjoyed Psychology and I'm good at it - and I settled into the year 13 class and course really well.
    If I were you I would switch from Spanish if you don't feel you're doing well, but only if you feel the subject you will replace it with will suit you. It is a risk, but as with my case sometimes risks work out well.

Know this is long, but hope it helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alizeh899)
    I'm currently in Year 13, but back when I was in year 12 I picked up A level Psychology around about this time last year (Jan/Feb 2017), as well as doing 3 other A levels already. The decision was because I wanted to have a better chance of having three core A Levels which I was doing well in. It was a risk as I'd never studied the subject before, and had missed 5 months of the course at the time I started.
    To make matters more difficult, I was placed in a year 13 class (whilst being in year 12) and had to start with the Year 2 course because Psychology clashed with my other three subjects timetable so it was the only way of doing the subject. This made it an ever bigger risk.
    Luckily it worked out in my favour, I found out that I really enjoyed Psychology and I'm good at it - and I settled into the year 13 class and course really well.
    If I were you I would switch from Spanish if you don't feel you're doing well, but only if you feel the subject you will replace it with will suit you. It is a risk, but as with my case sometimes risks work out well.

Know this is long, but hope it helps
    Thank you so much! This was really helpful, gives me some hope haha. I know I may be being a little harsh on myself and my self confidence sucks at times but I feel like its important for me to have a back up plan. I just hope my school will help me out, I keep thinking of the worst possible scenario...

ReputationRep:
    Hey guyyyysss, in case anyone wondered or cares, I just had a meeting with my head of sixth and I am being allowed to switch to media studies!!!

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.