Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Are these extenuating circumstances? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, I don't normally post here but I browse quite a lot. I'm applying to masters and some of my mid 2nd year marks are ok but less than ideal.

At around this time I became estranged (stopped contact) from my parents at 19, and was having to deal with getting my brother out of my mums house and into a stable situation. I wasn't in a very good mood to sit my exams which I personally believe may have affected the results. All my other results in the other exam sessions have been much better, including the most recent one.

I know some accept low parents income as bad circumstances for undergrad applications which obviously isn't anywhere near as bad as being cut off, but maybe things are different at postgrad? There certainly doesn't seem to be much information on it.

In conclusion, are unis likely to accept this explanation/consider the poor results in context (I could prove it if they thought I was lying)? Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Play it up, say that it has effected you emotionally and you feel like you need to start speaking to counselors. You may as well, even if it's not true.

Also, I'm estranged from mine too, since I was 17. Hit me up if you wanna chat.

ReputationRep:
    You need some kind of evidence to be considered for extenuating circumstances

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.