Show

- Affordable
    -Great diverse city
    -More of a community vibe

cons
    Spoiler:
    Show

- THE WEATHER
    - 4 years (and some employers apparently don't regard the masters?)
    - (personally) far from family and friend
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by ericaaparkes)
    (just curious about your opinions)

UCL:
    pros
    Spoiler:
    Show

- 7th in the world
    - London has everything imaginable
    - Work opportunities

cons
    Spoiler:
    Show

- lonely
    - EXPENSIVE
    - commuting

Edinburgh:
    pros
    Spoiler:
    Show

- Affordable
    -Great diverse city
    -More of a community vibe

cons
    Spoiler:
    Show

- THE WEATHER
    - 4 years (and some employers apparently don't regard the masters?)
    - (personally) far from family and friend

Scottish MA is the same as an English BA, and a Scottish BA is the same as an English ordinary degree (no honours).

You come to Scotland for the flexibility thanks to the extra year.

ReputationRep:
    As someone who applied to both, UCL was definitely higher up my list (2nd) than Edinburgh (4/5th).

Outside of the degree itself, the main thing for me was the work/internship opportunities. Having lived in London all my life there are so many opportunities that I've been able to take advantage of that have deffo helped me climb the ladder.

Another thing was the 4 years vs 3. As the poster above said the 4th year doesn't count as an actual masters and whilst the flexibility of the degree is actually what motivated me to apply to two Scottish unis when it came down to it, that wasn't enough for me to put it above others.

However, I will concur that Edinburgh is a fantastic city. In my (biased ) opinion it's the most interesting and eclectic city in the UK outside of London. Good luck with choosing!

ReputationRep:
    To study what?

I mean, as far as student life goes, both are good, and your preference will just be swayed by the lifestyle/social life you enjoy. No one will be able to tell you which one you are going to like more. For me, I do not like london, I find it a chore to live in, and a very cold and unwelcoming place - other people consider it the only place worth living in the UK.

What really matters though is your course. For many industries, being in close proximity to London is a huge advantage, for building connections, networking, internships, employment during term-time etc. If your in a very London-centric industry, then studying anywhere else is just making your life harder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    To study what?

I mean, as far as student life goes, both are good, and your preference will just be swayed by the lifestyle/social life you enjoy. No one will be able to tell you which one you are going to like more. For me, I do not like london, I find it a chore to live in, and a very cold and unwelcoming place - other people consider it the only place worth living in the UK.

What really matters though is your course. For many industries, being in close proximity to London is a huge advantage, for building connections, networking, internships, employment during term-time etc. If your in a very London-centric industry, then studying anywhere else is just making your life harder.
    (to study politics btw.)
    I completely understand your point and from that, london is probably best for my course as i get to network & have access to more relevant internships. thanks!

ReputationRep:
    As someone who lives in Edinburgh, it is not affordable at all. I've worked with people who live in Glasgow who say its cheaper to commute everyday to and back from work than it would be to live in Edinburgh. It is a very nice city, and you do get a wee bit of a community feel (no as much as a smaller uni such as Stirling or St. Andrews mind), my problem is that a hate living in the same place too long and a would hate to have to live hear another 4 years.

Cannae say too much about UCL, apart from Londons a massive ****ing place (more people live in London than the whole of Scotland) and am no a feeling lonely in a busy ****ing city. <3

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 3, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.