The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Aston VS Leeds! PLS help

Hey guys, I am international student. Got 5 conditional offers from manchester,aston,leeds,loughbourough and kent. Basically its either aston or leeds as my firm choice but cant decide, so really confused. My degree is Accounting for Management at Aston and Accounting & Finance at leeds.

Pls do help

Regards

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Seeing as you're an international student you may not be able to visit each university, although the best thing you can do is compare the actual course content and see which suits you better.
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
It depends on what you are looking for, but AFAIK the Aston Business department is very good. Otherwise an open day will be the most viable option to determine which university you will be better suited for.
Go Leeds, it's much better than ASTON
Reply 4
ignore the guy above. ABS is a top 5 business school, and the AFM course is a very good one. ABS is above leeds - I would say the only unis above aston for business subjects are the top tier:
Oxford
LSE
Warwick
Durham
========
Reply 5
So confused now, dont know what to do, though I feel I will miss out the university experience in Aston as its a relatively small university when compared to University Of Leeds.
I go to Aston University, I'm in my first year and have lived in Birmingham also for a long time so I can definately say that, what Aston lacks in size of campus in makes up in a fantastic guild and endless events diary. The size of the uni doesn't necessarily mean, the bigger the greater the uni experience. I was also torn between Leeds and Aston for a business course, however, after visiting Leeds, I found Aston greater for nightlife, gigs, places to eat and go out and easier to integrate in quickly. Hope this helps!
Reply 7
thanx trulyblessed, whats the course your doing? So you picked Aston over Leeds right? Any-other reason why you did this?
Reply 8
Better ranking?
Birmingham is a bigger city? more amenities?
Nice campus atmosphere, everyone knows everyone?

Leeds accomodation is probably better, but like, who gives a **** about that! :wink:
Reply 9
cool, I am international student. Are they many international students in ABS? Hows the girl situation in aston, is it good? lol
Reply 10
There are a lot of international students, 40% or so, if not more. Its a very ecclectic atmosphere culturally.

Girls wise you'd probably be better off at Leeds, but hey - its purely an issue of numbers! Aston is 55% male, I think.
There's loads of international students at Aston. LOADS.
even more than leeds?
If you are very enthusiastic about the two universities, I think it would be best for you to have a look at them before you decide (I assume that you haven't done so). I mean it's easy to say that Aston is better than Leeds, ranking-wise, but you also have to consider which one you feel you'll be better suited i.e. the atmosphere, the accomodations, student union, social life, facilities etc..

Ranking-wise, Aston is a more formidable university. But personally I wouldn't base my decision solely on the rankings. Do your homework and get a broader feel of both universities. All the best.
i am an international student so cant visit them. thats the whole prob
I never even applied to Leeds or went so I'm afraid I have no clue.

All you can do really is contact current students/tutors at both unis and make a decision on there. I'd go with your gut feeling.
Reply 16
I'm currently at Aston, and would strongly advise that you go to Leeds. I had to make the same choice (Aston .v. Leeds) and I'm sorry to say, I think I made the wrong decision. Events at Aston (at the uni itself, not in Birmingham clubs) seem to be very limited, with no regular 'nights' at the Guild. Except for Pounded...which is shockingly bad!

Having said that, I am doing a different course, so you need to weigh up what is most important, and what feels right for you
Reply 17
And If you had to make a decision between Aston and Royal Holloway ?
And between Aston and Nottingham ?

I'm an international student and I can't visit each uni I've applied for.

I've heard good things about Aston and Nottingham but I really don't know which one has the best reputation etc.
^^ In your case I'd wait a bit until you get the Nottingham offer. Maybe you can then way up the results and stuff.

I don't think I chose until a few days before the deadline which were my firm and insurance.
Reply 19
Yeah, I still don't have my Nottingham offer, but I'm already wondering which would be the best choice if Nottingham make me an offer.

I'm french so I really don't know which one would be the best choice to find a job in the uk etc. The only thing I can base my judgement on is rankings ... :s-smilie:

I know Aston and Nottingham are two good unis but which one has the best reputation for Management? And for student life ?

edit: In fact, Nottingham have just made me an offer ... unconditional but :
" Congratulations; The University of Nottingham has asked us to tell you that it is offering you a place for Computer Science and Management Studies, GN42; starting in September 2008 at point of entry 1.
The conditions of the offer are:

Please note that this is an offer for an alternative course to the one you originally applied for.
See Institution letter for clarification."

WTFFF ??

Quick Reply