Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is A-Level math enough to help me get to grips with the math needed for CS at uni level? My sibling went to Imperial for CS and maybe his impressive math prowess Is innate, but he said that the math-oriented stuff wasn't difficult because he did FM. Although I'm not opposed to using other stuff, I find that using the Edexcel materials Is way more intuitive and resourceful than the other stuff. So with that In mind, I want to self-teach all the Further Maths, Statistics and Decision math modules for the next 6 months with a recap of C1 to C4. I know It doesn't cover all the content I'll need at uni and some stuff might be irrelevant to the course, but I'm only doing this to study the prerequisites. Could It work or would you say It's not worth It?

ReputationRep:
    I am still in college doing A level maths, currently doing C3, C4 and decision 2. I want to study computer science in University and every university I went to for an open day told me that they either teach you everything there or support what you learned in A level maths (depends if the course requires it). I haven't seen a single CS course that required further maths so you should be all good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paranoid_Glitch)
    Is A-Level math enough to help me get to grips with the math needed for CS at uni level? My sibling went to Imperial for CS and maybe his impressive math prowess Is innate, but he said that the math-oriented stuff wasn't difficult because he did FM. Although I'm not opposed to using other stuff, I find that using the Edexcel materials Is way more intuitive and resourceful than the other stuff. So with that In mind, I want to self-teach all the Further Maths, Statistics and Decision math modules for the next 6 months with a recap of C1 to C4. I know It doesn't cover all the content I'll need at uni and some stuff might be irrelevant to the course, but I'm only doing this to study the prerequisites. Could It work or would you say It's not worth It?
    Look at the sticky in this forum. There are a lot of top universities that don't even require A-Level maths for their CS courses. In that regard, A-level maths can be regarded as excessive for many CS degrees. Some universities might be more heavy on the mathematical side than others, and there are modules you can take as part of a CS degree that will always be more math heavy (e.g. Machine learning, Data Science, Cryptography). Generally though you will find A-Level maths is more than enough to help you in your degree, and as the other poster says, any gaps you do happen to have most universities will help you fill them in.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly the maths required for CS degree courses vary quite considerably with different unis. What universities are you looking at?
    I'd say brushing up on C1 C2 C3 and D1 should be good enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IQuestionLogic)
    Honestly the maths required for CS degree courses vary quite considerably with different unis. What universities are you looking at?
    I'd say brushing up on C1 C2 C3 and D1 should be good enough.
    Going to Cardiff.

ReputationRep:
    Going to Cardiff.
    Ok I think you should be good with C2 C4 and D1
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Going to Cardiff.
    Are you on a gap year? So does this mean your place is unconditional?

Honestly you don't need to learn further maths for it. If they felt they needed it, it would be in your offer. Most people will be in the same boat as you in first year and by second year your advantage will be lost.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Appleorpear)
    Are you on a gap year? So does this mean your place is unconditional?

Honestly you don't need to learn further maths for it. If they felt they needed it, it would be in your offer. Most people will be in the same boat as you in first year and by second year your advantage will be lost.
    That's what they offered me. So If everything is In order I should be.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.