Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notoriety)
    No, I think psych and criminology at RHUL would give you a more robust academic experience and therefore will be more likely to support postgrad applications relating to forensic psychology. Though, if you feel that particular academics at Kingston might make it worthwhile to study there, do consider that.

However, it is important that you consider Course X and Course Y by the modules on offer and not by the topic name -- I know criminology at Durham has just as much sociological content as a criminology/sociology course anywhere else. Just the degree name is different! So do look at what separates Kingston and RHUL substantively; also look to see if there are any placements available, as these can be crucial for specific psychology postgrad courses.
    I will, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohanGRK)
    Is taking a gap year and getting your grades up out of the question?
    No. I'm almost 20... I took a break from everything and traveled in the US and Italy, i've had enough. :'D I have to attend a university!

ReputationRep:
    No, I think psych and criminology at RHUL would give you a more robust academic experience and therefore will be more likely to support postgrad applications relating to forensic psychology. Though, if you feel that particular academics at Kingston might make it worthwhile to study there, do consider that.

However, it is important that you consider Course X and Course Y by the modules on offer and not by the topic name -- I know criminology at Durham has just as much sociological content as a criminology/sociology course anywhere else. Just the degree name is different! So do look at what separates Kingston and RHUL substantively; also look to see if there are any placements available, as these can be crucial for specific psychology postgrad courses.
    Would RHUL be great for someone who wants to work in Law Enforcement (police officers, FBI, Department of Homeland Security, etc...)??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrysaPap)
    Would RHUL be great for someone who wants to work in Law Enforcement (police officers, FBI, Department of Homeland Security, etc...)??
    Well, working in US federal agencies requires US citizenship. It is a long and indirect route.

UK, NCA and regional forces, sure. All of them would be sufficient; but you don't need a policing degree, as an English Language degree would impress similar amounts. After all, training takes you from zero knowledge to working-copper knowledge. Bear in mind by the time you graduate it is likely that new policing recruits will need to possess a degree/or undergo a degree apprenticeship -- which makes a whole lot of sense, given the number of dunderheads currently recruited.

ReputationRep:
    Well, working in US federal agencies requires US citizenship. It is a long and indirect route.

UK, NCA and regional forces, sure. All of them would be sufficient; but you don't need a policing degree, as an English Language degree would impress similar amounts. After all, training takes you from zero knowledge to working-copper knowledge. Bear in mind by the time you graduate it is likely that new policing recruits will need to possess a degree/or undergo a degree apprenticeship -- which makes a whole lot of sense, given the number of dunderheads currently recruited.
    Great, thank you.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 2, 2018

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.