Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am devastated as I have now been rejected by 3/5 uni choices: LSE, UCL (applied for BSc Economics) and KCL (BSc Economics and Management). I don’t understand why at this point as my personal statement I thought was good and I have 40 points in IB, and am predicted A*A in my A-levels (which I am taking in a one year course). I also have good GCSE grades considering I am an international student and did Chemistry and Physics in one year and self taught myself and managed to get A*A (not trying to sound arrogant but I’m very frustrated). I feel like all the hard work & stress was for nothing.

Any suggestions?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I applied in January does that make that big of a difference?

ReputationRep:
    You doing only two A levels?

ReputationRep:
    Yes but I already have the full IB diploma + 2 A levels, usually people do 3-4 A levels only

ReputationRep:
    Did you apply after Jan 15? If before that then it was not an issue.

LSE isn't surprising at all, people get ridiculous grades and rejections. UCL you are a bit under the average applicant perhaps, not a huge surprise. But KCL is surprising, perhaps try asking them why?

PS did you do higher level maths in IB or maths A level?

ReputationRep:
    I applied before the UCAS deadline (Jan 15). Also UCL asks for 37 points, which I’m over + have A*A A-level predictions (A* for Maths). I did not do HL maths IB because when I was choosing my subjects I was unsure as to what I wanted to do career-wise, but that’s why I am doing A level maths in my gap year. KCL asks for 35 points and only SL Maths IB so I don’t understand at all. Neither gave me good reasons as to why, so I might call both. I don’t really know what to say though.. LSE considered me for much longer which I am surprised of, as I expected UCL and/or KCL to accept me but not LSE. I never expected all 3 to reject me though.

Perhaps KCL rejected me because I applied to Econ & Management? Instead of just Economics?

I don’t know what to do now honestly..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whaaaaaaat)
    I applied before the UCAS deadline (Jan 15). Also UCL asks for 37 points, which I’m over + have A*A A-level predictions (A* for Maths). I did not do HL maths IB because when I was choosing my subjects I was unsure as to what I wanted to do career-wise, but that’s why I am doing A level maths in my gap year. KCL asks for 35 points and only SL Maths IB so I don’t understand at all. Neither gave me good reasons as to why, so I might call both. I don’t really know what to say though.. LSE considered me for much longer which I am surprised of, as I expected UCL and/or KCL to accept me but not LSE. I never expected all 3 to reject me though.

Perhaps KCL rejected me because I applied to Econ & Management? Instead of just Economics?

Over 37 by how much?

ReputationRep:
    That is strange, especially as IB diplomas are well respected, plus with the two good A Level predicted grades it's a bit strange. Economics is a highly popular and competitive course, so maybe some people had a better ps than you?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am devastated as I have now been rejected by 3/5 uni choices: LSE, UCL (applied for BSc Economics) and KCL (BSc Economics and Management). I don’t understand why at this point as my personal statement I thought was good and I have 40 points in IB, and am predicted A*A in my A-levels (which I am taking in a one year course). I also have good GCSE grades considering I am an international student and did Chemistry and Physics in one year and self taught myself and managed to get A*A (not trying to sound arrogant but I’m very frustrated). I feel like all the hard work & stress was for nothing.

Any suggestions?
    See what your other 2 unis say.

ReputationRep:
    What are your other two uni choices?

ReputationRep:
    you applied for economics, one of the most competitive course in the UK. Every 18 year old in the country with a interest in finance knows studying economics is the best route into investment banking

ReputationRep:
    I am confused. Why are you doing A levels after you have already done the full IB diploma?
    I also got rejected from my top 2 choices with IB prediction of 44 so dont feel alone. It sucks, I know but it is what it is. LSE and UCL tbh reject a lot of people with great scores, but KCL is very suprising as people have said earlier. This website (https://university.which.co.uk/kings...0-ln12-A27-G17) says that the offer rate last year was 100% for your course so I am now very confused.

ReputationRep:
    Queen Marys and Bath. I already got an offer at QMUL. Also I really wanted to stay in London

ReputationRep:
    Because I hadn’t done HL Maths which I needed for these top unis. I had chosen SL Maths and couldn’t change it later to HL. I just wasted a whole year... I know, I’m going to call on Monday but I think it might be too late as I waited longer than 2 weeks to say anything. I didn’t know you could ask why or argue your case etc.

Which unis did you apply to? And how were the rest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notoriety)
    Over 37 by how much?
    I got 40 points

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunnySpanishinUK)
    What are your other two uni choices?
    Queen Marys and Bath. I already got an offer at QMUL. Also I really wanted to stay in London

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The RAR)
    You doing only two A levels?
    Yes but I already have the full IB diploma + 2 A levels, usually people do 3-4 A levels only

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rohan77642)
    I am confused. Why are you doing A levels after you have already done the full IB diploma?
    I also got rejected from my top 2 choices with IB prediction of 44 so dont feel alone. It sucks, I know but it is what it is. LSE and UCL tbh reject a lot of people with great scores, but KCL is very suprising as people have said earlier. This website (https://university.which.co.uk/kings...0-ln12-A27-G17) says that the offer rate last year was 100% for your course so I am now very confused.
    Because I hadn’t done HL Maths which I needed for these top unis. I had chosen SL Maths and couldn’t change it later to HL. I just wasted a whole year... I know, I’m going to call on Monday but I think it might be too late as I waited longer than 2 weeks to say anything. I didn’t know you could ask why or argue your case etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Appleorpear)
    Did you apply after Jan 15? If before that then it was not an issue.

LSE isn't surprising at all, people get ridiculous grades and rejections. UCL you are a bit under the average applicant perhaps, not a huge surprise. But KCL is surprising, perhaps try asking them why?

PS did you do higher level maths in IB or maths A level?

ReputationRep:

Applied to oxford, imperial, bath, warwick and st andrews.
    Rejected from oxford and imperial and have offers from the rest.

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.