Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

What do you think about stay at home mums who choose to stay at home with their child and not work?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    What do you think about stay at home mums who choose to stay at home with their child and not work?
    If you have to ask this question it is obvious that you have never had kids.

Stay at home mothers deserve medals, statues and the highest praise.

ReputationRep:
    Why is this question aimed solely at mothers? What about fathers who decide to be the stay at home parent while the mother works? Would you consider them lazy too? or do you just dismiss them entirely?

ReputationRep:
    I feel very sorry for them because they normally have little to no financial independence, don't build up any sort of pension fund for their future and yet they are doing more than a full time job. Their contribution to society is huge and they deserve far more praise and support than they get. Lazy is the last word you could use to describe them, although I suspect the OP knows this and this was just a troll attempt on their part.

ReputationRep:
    I can honestly say that the year I spent at home with 3 children under school age was the busiest I have ever been. I remember the dentist telling me off for not brushing my teeth properly and my realising it was because I did not get enough time for myself to manage it. Sleep deprivation can also be a major issue.

ReputationRep:
    There is a 24/7 work at home, especially with children. So, being lazy is out of discussion. They are heroes!!!!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Someone's got to bring the child up, you do realise that fathers can also stay at home too?

Anyways I do not understand why you described them as lazy? Considering that they will be home not chilling but constantly doing work, whether that be cooking, cleaning, doing laundry, ironing, feeding the children and so forth.

Yes you may say that anyone can do those jobs 'easily'. Try doing them everyday consecutively and then tell us if a stay at home mother or father is lazy or not.

I would also like to add that, a child's first school is the mothers lap. Therefore if the mother or father is absent from their child, the child would not have the advantage of learning basic things off their mother or father.

These mothers and fathers deserve awards not harsh comments considering that someone else would rather complain than get the job done.

ReputationRep:
    Bringing up a child is one of the hardest jobs with often little to no reward. Stay at home mum's are amazing.

I am not calling them lazy, I was asking if you think they are. I only started this thread because i was watching a breakfast show where they were discussing this!! I DONT THINK THEYRE LAZY i was just curious as to what others thought

ReputationRep:
    What about the mothers who have no choice other than to do all of the above as well as go out and earn a living?

ReputationRep:
    I am not calling them lazy, I was asking if you think they are. I only started this thread because i was watching a breakfast show where they were discussing this!! I DONT THINK THEYRE LAZY i was just curious as to what others thought
    So why hide behind anonymous?

ReputationRep:
    Dunno about other races but Asian stay at home mums are the complete opposite of lazy. The only time I've seen my own mum rest would be the night time, otherwise, she'd be busy cooking, doing the laundry, making the beds, cleaning the house, making boxed lunches for my siblings and me etc.

ReputationRep:
    I have much more respect for stay at home parents than parents that have kids and stick them in nursery as early as possible so they can go work full time and spend virtually no time with their kids.

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on the parent...

Some stay-at-home parents I've seen work SO HARD constantly and I have so much respect for them, but then others (such as my mother), can be lazy - for example, mine stays at home but she doesn't do the housework or looking after kids either, she just sits around all day doing nothing - literally).

So some are lazy, but many (especially when they have young kids) aren't - I'd rather go to work that do their stressful exhausting job lol.

Just depends on the person

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jestersnow)
    I feel very sorry for them because they normally have little to no financial independence, don't build up any sort of pension fund for their future and yet they are doing more than a full time job. Their contribution to society is huge and they deserve far more praise and support than they get. Lazy is the last word you could use to describe them, although I suspect the OP knows this and this was just a troll attempt on their part.
    They do build up pension credits for time out on child care through claiming child benefit.
    https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.u...ou-have-a-baby
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Depends entirely on why they choose that and what they do with it. If they choose it because they can't be bothered to work and it's a good excuse and all they do with the time is watch TV and tell their kids to"sort it out yourself" all the time then yeah they're lazy.
    That's only one of the many reasons to consider being as stay at home mum (or dad) though and they can still be doing a lot of stuff even if it's not formal work or terribly obvious.
    And of course people may also choose it because they legitimately wouldn't be capable or able to do justice to both work and caring for their kids. Like maybe if they have a disability or something or have a child with extra needs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MiszshorTea786)
    Someone's got to bring the child up, you do realise that fathers can also stay at home too?

Anyways I do not understand why you described them as lazy? Considering that they will be home not chilling but constantly doing work, whether that be cooking, cleaning, doing laundry, ironing, feeding the children and so forth.

Yes you may say that anyone can do those jobs 'easily'. Try doing them everyday consecutively and then tell us if a stay at home mother or father is lazy or not.

I would also like to add that, a child's first school is the mothers lap. Therefore if the mother or father is absent from their child, the child would not have the advantage of learning basic things off their mother or father.

These mothers and fathers deserve awards not harsh comments considering that someone else would rather complain than get the job done.
    well said

ReputationRep:
    I'm a guy but you're a d-u-m-b-a-s-s if you think being a stay at home mom is easy. Its very difficult, even more so if the father isn't around. Its much harder than joe's 9-5 office job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    If you have to ask this question it is obvious that you have never had kids.

Stay at home mothers deserve medals, statues and the highest praise.
    Yeah they do 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by howitoughttobe)
    I have much more respect for stay at home parents than parents that have kids and stick them in nursery as early as possible so they can go work full time and spend virtually no time with their kids.
    Well said 👏🏼

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.