Turn on thread page Beta

Are stay at home mums lazy? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    What do you think about stay at home mums who choose to stay at home with their child and not work?
    Depends on how old their children are

ReputationRep:
    What do you think about stay at home mums who choose to stay at home with their child and not work?
    There's nothing wrong with taking a break.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Even Robocop takes a day off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    They do build up pension credits for time out on child care through claiming child benefit.
    https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.u...ou-have-a-baby
    Apologies you are technically correct but the pension they have is a pittance (see the blurb from the case study at the bottom of the link as an example). I know pretty much most millennials will have a pittance for a pension when they retire, but even still, stay at home parents will have next to nothing for a pension if they look after their kids until they are 18.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    No they're not. Taking care of one or more children on top of cleaning, cooking, washing, shopping etc etc is probably harder work than most desk jobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jestersnow)
    Apologies you are technically correct but the pension they have is a pittance (see the blurb from the case study at the bottom of the link as an example). I know pretty much most millennials will have a pittance for a pension when they retire, but even still, stay at home parents will have next to nothing for a pension if they look after their kids until they are 18.
    Yes but they need to clock up a certain number of years to get a full state pension anyway. If they go back to work when the chidren are older they can qualify for a state pension and a work pension.

No, I've tried it out, although you can argue I'm not a mother, it was in a household of 6 -7 people.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    yes my mum is

(Original post by CleverSquirrel)
    yes my mum is
    Shee doesn't cook, clean, do all the chores (shopping/ironing/dishes etc etc) and look after the kids etc?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Yes but they need to clock up a certain number of years to get a full state pension anyway. If they go back to work when the chidren are older they can qualify for a state pension and a work pension.
    Again true, but the say, 18 years they haven't been in paid employment (where they could've been contributing to a work based pension) is detrimental to their overall pension pot. They will almost certainly end up with less of a pension fund.

ReputationRep:
    Looking after a young child is a damned sight more demanding than most middle class jobs.

ReputationRep:
    Again true, but the say, 18 years they haven't been in paid employment (where they could've been contributing to a work based pension) is detrimental to their overall pension pot. They will almost certainly end up with less of a pension fund.
    Where did I say 18 yeara? I said older e.g. at Secondary/Upper Primary.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, stay at home parenting is more like a full time job, except with no breaks and longer hours

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    If you have to ask this question it is obvious that you have never had kids.

Stay at home mothers deserve medals, statues and the highest praise.
    //close thread here
    The realest words I have ever heard since my time on this toxic forum.

ReputationRep:
    Where did I say 18 yeara? I said older e.g. at Secondary/Upper Primary.
    Apologies I have a typo in there, in should read "but say", as in for the sake of argument. No one said you said 18 lol

The point is be it 18 months or 18 years, that is still time that stay-at-home parents are not working in paid employment and adding to a pension pot. It costs them in the long term.

ReputationRep:
    Apologies I have a typo in there, in should read "but say", as in for the sake of argument. No one said you said 18 lol

The point is be it 18 months or 18 years, that is still time that stay-at-home parents are not working in paid employment and adding to a pension pot. It costs them in the long term.
    They are saving child-care costs by staying at home so it is a balance which every family needs to work out.

ReputationRep:
    No its entirely normal and natural. There is no need for women to work, especially minors and mothers. Current western society is inhumane.

ReputationRep:
    If both mum and dad go to work and baby Jimmy is left at home freely and jumps off the roof of the house then from your question I can gather that the mother and father would be deemed amazing parents for not staying at home to watch Jimmy and being deemed 'lazy'.

Hope this knocks some sense into the question haha (have a nice day)

ReputationRep:
    yes

ReputationRep:
    I am not calling them lazy, I was asking if you think they are. I only started this thread because i was watching a breakfast show where they were discussing this!! I DONT THINK THEYRE LAZY i was just curious as to what others thought
    Well done for clarifying because as soon as I saw the thread I knew people would come for you. Next time mention that in the post. It helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    If you have to ask this question it is obvious that you have never had kids.

Stay at home mothers deserve medals, statues and the highest praise.
    stay at home mums are an excuse to get pregnant at 15 and never work a day in your life

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.