Turn on thread page Beta

Are stay at home mums lazy? watch

• Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by BigCockBen)
    stay at home mums are an excuse to get pregnant at 15 and never work a day in your life
    Are they really?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    What do you think about stay at home mums who choose to stay at home with their child and not work?
    Why are you such a sexist? There are plenty of stay at home dads already, and we can only encourage more men to play a larger role in child rearing. Are all those dads and those men who would like to do this, not worthy of your thoughts? Why are you dismissing their role?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by BigCockBen)
    stay at home mums are an excuse to get pregnant at 15 and never work a day in your life
    troll much ...

ReputationRep:
    What do you think about stay at home mums who choose to stay at home with their child and not work?
    Parents who can afford for the mum not to work and she wants to stay home, then it's completely up to them. They're not a drain on society.
    There's nothing lazy about it, being a mum is hard work.

ReputationRep:
    If the family can afford it, great. It's good for the kids to have their mother around to look after them. I doubt the decision is often made out of laziness, as opposed to the best interests of the children and the family as a whole. Presumably that sometimes happens, though.

ReputationRep:
    They sacrifice their precious time to raise a child on their own
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    How many of you have actually been a stay at home parent to know that they're lazy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    How many of you have actually been a stay at home parent to know that they're lazy?
    I’ve never been to the moon but I know it has very week gravity - you don’t have to have done something to have knowledge on it
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I would hate to be a stay at home parent as ALL responsibilities in the home become your responsibilities. If you have never lived on your own then you probably don’t understand how difficult that is.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Underscore__)
    I’ve never been to the moon but I know it has very week gravity - you don’t have to have done something to have knowledge on it
    It also has gravity during the day ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    It also has gravity during the day ...
    Most people would say that’s childish but I probably would have done the same noticing such an error

ReputationRep:
    I am ofc biased since my mom stayed home for some years herself but the short answer to the obviously loaded question is no. The longer answer ofc would be, that every family and every human being is able to make that decision on their own - it's a matter of personal beliefs and personal priorities. What is best for myself and for my child and so on - nobody else has the right to judge anyone else re: this matter imho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by howitoughttobe)
    I have much more respect for stay at home parents than parents that have kids and stick them in nursery as early as possible so they can go work full time and spend virtually no time with their kids.
    One is not better than the other. It's not a competition between stay at home moms and moms who work. A single mom won't be able to work and pay the bills if nursery places aren't available.

I have a lot of respect for both types of moms as long as they're not having loads of kids so they can claim benefits for the rest of their life.

Your point is more true of middle class parents who are rich enough to stick their kids in nurseries, then schools with boarding or have loads of extra classes after school so they don't have to see their own kids. The type of parents who'd go on holiday and leave their kids behind with the au pair/nanny.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    It's just not financially feasible for some mothers to arrange childcare while they work. So it's nothing to do with laziness as looking after kids is ****ing hard work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePricklyOne)
    One is not better than the other. It's not a competition between stay at home moms and moms who work. A single mom won't be able to work and pay the bills if nursery places aren't available.

I have a lot of respect for both types of moms as long as they're not having loads of kids so they can claim benefits for the rest of their life.

Your point is more true of middle class parents who are rich enough to stick their kids in nurseries, then schools with boarding or have loads of extra classes after school so they don't have to see their own kids. The type of parents who'd go on holiday and leave their kids behind with the au pair/nanny.
    They're more the kind of parents I was talking about tbh, the ones who choose to work over spending time with their kids because their careers are more important. But even in situations like single parents and parents who have to work because of money issues, I question why they've had kids if they're not financially stable. And I know situations can change but too many people who are struggling anyway have kids that they can't afford, and these kids are often running around the streets while their parents have no clue where they are or what they're up to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by howitoughttobe)
    They're more the kind of parents I was talking about tbh, the ones who choose to work over spending time with their kids because their careers are more important. But even in situations like single parents and parents who have to work because of money issues, I question why they've had kids if they're not financially stable. And I know situations can change but too many people who are struggling anyway have kids that they can't afford, and these kids are often running around the streets while their parents have no clue where they are or what they're up to.

Most parents don't pop out some kids just for fun. They would've considered whether they can afford kid and existing outgoings. But circumstances can change in the 18 year period it takes to turn a kid into a grown up. One parent could lose their job, or someone or the kid could get seriously ill. No one has a crystal ball to know what will happen during those 18 years. Maybe your crystal ball works better?

Walk the walk with a kid, then come back to this thread in 18 years when you've survived the ups and downs of having children.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePricklyOne)
    Most parents don't pop out some kids just for fun. They would've considered whether they can afford kid and existing outgoings. But circumstances can change in the 18 year period it takes to turn a kid into a grown up. One parent could lose their job, or someone or the kid could get seriously ill. No one has a crystal ball to know what will happen during those 18 years. Maybe your crystal ball works better?

Walk the walk with a kid, then come back to this thread in 18 years when you've survived the ups and downs of having children.
    I explicitly stated that I wasn't talking about parents where the situation changes after they had children. You need to improve your reading comprehension skills. They are plenty of irresponsible people out there who pop kids out without even considering the consequences, if you think it's a rare occurrence then I'm sorry but you are deluded.

ReputationRep:
    No. From what I heard housewive clean the house, buy and cook the food, and take care of the kids. They manage the house because even if you make tons of money then who stays house to tend to the house, cook the meals, and raise the children? The house wife does. You can't buy everything lol. That is not laziness. Just cuz housewives are not getting paid for their labor does not mean they're lazy.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely not. In my view, having one parent work whilst one parent stays home to care for the child and run the home is incredibly important to the child's development. I think females are obviously naturally better suited to the nurture role and so make the most effective caregivers, (Unless you're and SJW/Feminazi and completely disregard basic science and evolution) but it depends on who has the greater earning potential really as to whom works and who stays home. I think it is incredibly worrisome for society that the role of motherhood and stay at home parenting is being dishonoured with such inferences as being lazy or sexist. If you have a child, that's your responsibility to care and raise them. If you want to work and focus on career...maybe don't have children.

ReputationRep:
    No. They seem to cop a lot of flak from those who believe all women should be in paid work and if they aren't, they must be lazy.
    It wouldn't surprise me if the decline of the stay-at-home mother is a contributing factor to the rise of mental health problems among young people.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.