Turn on thread page Beta

Not going into work - is this genuine reason? watch

Now, I know what you are all thinking, it isn't because of the snow.

Basically last night (as I was leaving) I was threatened outside my place of work by 4 youths in balaclavas.

I'll go more into detail, but the fact is, I'm a bit shaken up. Luckily I didn't come to physical harm but was pretty intimidated and upset.

Now, the store was closing anyhow, and there was not anyone with me in the vicinity. All staff were up stairs in our stock room.

Usually, as a safety caution, when the place closes more than one person is meant to stop behind as a precaution incase of robbery and we are meant to wait around for door to shut (electronic sensor).

Weirdly, I offered to stay on to do overtime (which I don't always do), so naturally I was rushing, I wanted to get home due to bad weather and my long commute, so its like strange twist of fate, that this happened.

I offered to stay on until 9pm, and so when the clock struck 9 I asked to leave. There was one other colleague in front of me (though he was new), and I had noticed he walked on hastily in front.

I usually can hear sliding door shut behind me. It is the sort that is sensor monitored so movement opens it.

I could hear it sliding shut as I stood still momentarily, all of a sudden I see a guy with a snowball in his hand. At first, I thought "great its the kids again pissing about" - as we have a lot of anti-social behaviour in the area and kids messing about outside - and wasn't alarmed initially.

I turned and stopped, and told him "Hey mate, we are shut now". As I thought he was just going to throw the snowball inside.

It was then I noticed there was now four of them in balaclavas, one of them turned to me and said "ere you best not start on him mate". I knew instantaneously they were like older teens, not grown men.

But it was then, the guy with the snowball said "You best F*** off now, or I'll get my knife out and stab you up yeah, and slit you throat".

As someone that comes from a small rural village in the countryside (I now work in an inner city town with some crime), I was pretty shaken up by these threats, and didn't take it lightly.

So immediately, I was like ok ok buddy, I'm off. I walked very fast as they sort of all hushed towards me and verbally abused me.

I went off to the bus stop, still shaken I messaged my colleagues, who were inside the building upstairs putting stock away.

I knew the people got in, as the door was literally just closing, I thought I'd get into trouble for it, if they stole out. But I was more worried about staff safety.

I messaged them to alert them, the police were called, I statement was taken over the phone.

The police however, didn't seem that bothered at all, and played it down to kids just messing about. I don't know about other people, and perspectives in cities might be different, but for me, I've never had anyone threaten my life like that. It was pretty traumatic.

I have told work that I am not coming in today because a bit shaken up. I feel a bit silly doing this, but its mostly because my workplace is very unforgiving and they generally aren't that nice or sympathetic.

I can guarantee people are talking about me now for ringing in. Obviously, some of the Managers have asked if I was okay, but you know what people are like.

What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    I don’t blame you, I wouldn’t be going in either!! That would have seriously shaken me up too. Totally valid you not going in in my opinion. If the staff are horrible and unsympathetic about something like that I would be looking for another job immediately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeckyWecky)
    I don’t blame you, I wouldn’t be going in either!! That would have seriously shaken me up too. Totally valid you not going in in my opinion. If the staff are horrible and unsympathetic about something like that I would be looking for another job immediately.
    This. Your workplace is not safe Op. Look for another job, I would not even recommend you go back there.

(Original post by BeckyWecky)
    Yeah, we've had various incidents of criminal damage during the day, when we have parents, families and their kids eating in our restaurant!

Most of these kids are teenagers sadly, it makes you wonder what is wrong with society. Not that we all couldn't have a guess.

On one occasion last year, a group of about 15 descended outside. One or two of the kids repeatedly kicked a door until it shattered and the door was completely busted open.

Another occasion, a few of them came in, started giving dinning area staff abuse. Grabbed a mop off a colleague and started trying to hit him. One of them also spat in his face and gave him homophobic abuse. There was a full blown media outrage, and staff were told not to speak to media.

And then this happens to me! I think work will want to keep this quiet to be honest.

It is absolutely not safe, the franchisee doesn't want to pay door staff to secure the premises, (apparently they employed a guy years ago, but he left due to continued abuse). We have a red button linked to the local station - which is literally over the way, but it takes them 30-40 mins (sometimes they don't show) to arrive.

Also, like I say, in the moment, the staff were concerned, a few even messaged me. But then, I bet today, after I rung in all they did was huff and puff. All they care for is money - not our welfare, and they don't care if you leave as they have countless others waiting to take my job.

Thing is, if this isn't enough, I hate my job as it is, for other reasons related to how staff treat me. I moved over to this part of country 2 years ago, and been depressed ever since. The culture is different, the crime rate etc. I live myself in a different part of the city which is equally as bad, fortunately i haven't been burglarised yet. Prior to this I lived in a pretty middle class neighbourhood. Where people generally don't carry knives, much less threaten. It's made me want to quit my job and relocate!

(Original post by Vanny17)
    This. Your workplace is not safe Op. Look for another job, I would not even recommend you go back there.
    Hi,

Yeah I have been looking for work for sometime to be honest.

I am a graduate anyhow, so pretty well educated, and so many are perplexed as to why I landed up in this job in the first place. I ended up here as a result of taking the first job I could, so I could relocate across the country. Primarily, to live with my other half.

One thing led to another, unfortunately, life after university hasn't been great (it never is - but thats another story!).

I live in a low rent, fairly poor part of the city (I worked at the other side), and it is dismal. I have no disrespect for the working classes or the poor, unless they commit crime against me like this.

This is precisely the reason I didn't want to live or work in these kinds of areas, not because of any sort of snobbery or superiority.

Unfortunately, I am unable to afford to live in affluent suburbs like many of my friends.

As stated to the previous poster, we've had continual anti-social behaviour here over my 2 years here:

- Front door been smashed in by two youths, this was sort of 7-8pm at night while families and their kids were enjoying food in the restaurant, (a further 12 were congregated around the store front).

- One colleague was verbally abused with homophobic langugae, and assaulted with a mop - spat on.

- And I was recently threatened.

This isn't the sort of environment I want to work in. Unfortunately, I have been unable to find employment elsewhere up to now. My partner recently has only just got back into work herself. I've been supporting us in my job - so its been hard!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi,

Yeah I have been looking for work for sometime to be honest.

I am a graduate anyhow, so pretty well educated, and so many are perplexed as to why I landed up in this job in the first place. I ended up here as a result of taking the first job I could, so I could relocate across the country. Primarily, to live with my other half.

One thing led to another, unfortunately, life after university hasn't been great (it never is - but thats another story!).

I live in a low rent, fairly poor part of the city (I worked at the other side), and it is dismal. I have no disrespect for the working classes or the poor, unless they commit crime against me like this.

This is precisely the reason I didn't want to live or work in these kinds of areas, not because of any sort of snobbery or superiority.

Unfortunately, I am unable to afford to live in affluent suburbs like many of my friends.

As stated to the previous poster, we've had continual anti-social behaviour here over my 2 years here:

- Front door been smashed in by two youths, this was sort of 7-8pm at night while families and their kids were enjoying food in the restaurant, (a further 12 were congregated around the store front).

- One colleague was verbally abused with homophobic langugae, and assaulted with a mop - spat on.

- And I was recently threatened.

This isn't the sort of environment I want to work in. Unfortunately, I have been unable to find employment elsewhere up to now. My partner recently has only just got back into work herself. I've been supporting us in my job - so its been hard!
    Well I would use this day as the perfect opportunity to browse through job sites online, brush up your cv (if it needs it) and just apply for loads and loads of different things, even if you don’t think you have a chance (which I am sure you do). No workplace would blame you for leaving your current job! It sounds horrendous. Sounds like the mark of a good character though that you have put up with it this long! You must be made of stronger stuff than me, I know I couldn’t/wouldn’t work somewhere like that. I would literally do ANYTHING else even if it meant working a lot more hours/night shifts or whatever. Good luck, I really hope you find something new that is safe and rewarding 👍

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 2, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.