Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hello! I’m not sure if this is in the right place, but i think? Anyway, i’m quite behind on my coursework for art. I’m someone who focuses on quality rather than quantity, yet the subject is very quality heavy. I’m trying to catch up, yet it’s takibg a while and is rather stressing me out. On top of that i need to revise for other subjects.
    I’m someone who suffers from anxiety and i do worry an awful lot. this has in turn prevented me from asking teachers for help but then that adds to the stress.
    I’m scared i’ll fail art and i kind of regret taking it. I do not think i’ll be going forward with it, as i want to do on to do English in sixth form.
    So my question is, how do i catch up on my art coursework without feeling majorly stressed?

I'm in a similar boat, I'm doing OCR Textile Art (marked under the same criteria as art), and I've really struggled to get enough work done to the standard I want.
    It might depend on the exam board, but OCR at least want to see refinement and progression of ideas, so even if you put in something that isn't 100% perfect if you write about what you learn from it and what you can do better, you can still use it. It took a lot of the strain off me when I realised not everything had to be perfect in the development part. It would be a really good idea to have a proper conversation with your teacher and formulate a plan of what exactly you need to produce to finish to a decent standard. That really helped me as I had a nice checklist and I could tick things off when I'd done them which gives you a sense of completion and eases stress a bit.
    Do you have a final piece designed yet? Because if not do that first and then come back to your development and focus on experimenting with only the things you need for your final piece, and throw in a few 'i also tried it this way and I don't like it' type bits with examples so you show refinement. Art is one of those subjects where it feels like there is no end in sight so if you haven't already, make a clear plan of everything you need to do, and focus on that. If you are really nervous speaking to your teacher would it help to have a friend there to support you?
    I don't know if all of this advice will be helpful if you are doing a different exam board to me, but I hope some of it helps.

Hi I don't know whether this would be much help to you but my best friend was in the same situation.
    We do AQA Art at our school and she felt that because she was struggling with catching up with it, she preferred to just drop it even though she enjoyed the subject as it was starting to impact the amount she was able to revise for other subjects, e.g. Core subjects like English and Maths. She also focused on quality over quantity so she spent a lot longer on coursework than everyone else did.

Especially because she wasn't going to take it for A-Level or pursue a career in it, she had a discussion with our teachers and in the end, our head of year also advised her to drop it and so did our Art teacher.
    She only dropped it a few days ago but since doing so, she has become a lot more relaxed and has already done a lot of revision that she would've otherwise spent doing on Art.
    I also do GCSE art but I feel like it takes up too much time. There is no easy way to catch up with coursework. The only thing you can do is spend loads of time on it to try to complete it before the deadline.
    I wish you the best of luck and hope you can finish it!
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources

Study tools

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.