Turn on thread page Beta

HELP. SOS. Mature student Illustration BA/FDA Application watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello Everyone!

I think I've searched for every possible thread on this forum on the topic I'm posting on... but still could really do with some help if anyone with experience and knowledge could help me :-)

I'm looking to apply for Illustration in London... It has to be in London for certain personal reasons.

I started a short 3 week portfolio course in London in January. Unfortunately, disappointingly, for various reasons I did not come out of here with a completed portfolio, and I am due to finish the portfolio at home this week ready for a submission.

I left school at GCSE level. I do have A CELTA though, and I have taught English as a foreign language. I'm now 27, so I have no experience in the Higher Education system, and I find it all extremely intimidating.

I know I have missed the UCAS deadline of the 15th of Jan. My tutor said I should still be able to apply post deadline... and I've been informed about the clearance process...

I am wondering if people have experience or knowledge about mature students applying without the "set application requirements" but with other credible life experience attributes, and also if Universities could be more lenient on portfolios that might not fit their exact listed criteria?

I am 28 this year, so would prefer not do a foundation year in Art and Design and would really LOVE to get this process started this September. I draw so much from home.

Here's a flickr with some of my work on (this isn'y my portfolio I haven't made it digital yet but will submit some of this work)
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/142229...h/26953373786/

Again any advice and comments would be EXTREMELY appreciated. I think my hair has started going grey and I don't think about anything else right now.... please help ! :-) Xxxxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    No advice sorry, but I wanted to say that your art is stunning.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KanyesVest)
    No advice sorry, but I wanted to say that your art is stunning.
    haha well thank you for commenting... gives me a little confidence boost at least... so appreciate the feedback!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Frankie190)
    Hello Everyone!

I think I've searched for every possible thread on this forum on the topic I'm posting on... but still could really do with some help if anyone with experience and knowledge could help me :-)

I'm looking to apply for Illustration in London... It has to be in London for certain personal reasons.

I started a short 3 week portfolio course in London in January. Unfortunately, disappointingly, for various reasons I did not come out of here with a complete portfolio, and I am due to finish the portfolio at home this week ready for a submission.

I left school at GCSE level. I do have A CELTA though, and I have taught English as a foreign language. I'm now 27, so I have no experience in the Higher Education system, and I find it all extremely intimidating.

I know I have missed the UCAS deadline of the 15th of Jan. My tutor said I should still be able to apply post deadline... and I've been informed about the clearance process...

I am wondering if people have experience or knowledge about mature students applying without the "set application requirements" but with other credible life experience attributes, and also if Universities could be more lenient on portfolios that might not fit their exact listed criteria?

I am 28 this year, so would prefer not do a foundation year in Art and Design and would really LOVE to get this process started this September. I draw so much from home.

Here's a flickr with some of my work on (this isn'y my portfolio I haven't made it digital yet but will submit some of this work)
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/142229...h/26953373786/

Again any advice and comments would be EXTREMELY appreciated. I think my hair has started going grey and I don't think about anything else right now.... please help ! :-) Xxxxxxxx
    Hi,

I don't have much knowledge specific to arts subjects, but as you are applying late, it would be a good idea to look at courses that are in UCAS Extra. These are courses that know they have spaces based on the amount of applications/acceptances they currently have, so are more likely to consider a late applicant.

If there is a specific uni that you want to apply to that doesn't have spaces in Extra, then do email them and see how they would consider a late applicant.

Also, check entry requirements carefully, as some unis may not be willing to consider you on your portfolio alone.

Good Luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SarcAndSpark)
    Hi,

I don't have much knowledge specific to arts subjects, but as you are applying late, it would be a good idea to look at courses that are in UCAS Extra. These are courses that know they have spaces based on the amount of applications/acceptances they currently have, so are more likely to consider a late applicant.

If there is a specific uni that you want to apply to that doesn't have spaces in Extra, then do email them and see how they would consider a late applicant.

Also, check entry requirements carefully, as some unis may not be willing to consider you on your portfolio alone.

Good Luck.
    That's really helpful... thank you! I've just done the search via the UCAS website and it says there are 771 courses still with places for illustration including the places I wanted to go in London.... So seems positive, hopefully I actually did the search correctly haha...

Thank you, I checked the criteria and they did specify they were looking for people with certain academic qualifications, however could consider alternative evidence of prior learning and also experience... So I'm hoping my CELTA which is a level 5 qualification, a years teaching experience, multiple writing, admin, sales and marketing jobs, work experience, having my own small clothing business will count as alternative proof I'm capable and diligent enough...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Frankie190)
    That's really helpful... thank you! I've just done the search via the UCAS website and it says there are 771 courses still with places for illustration including the places I wanted to go in London.... So seems positive, hopefully I actually did the search correctly haha...

Thank you, I checked the criteria and they did specify they were looking for people with certain academic qualifications, however could consider alternative evidence of prior learning and also experience... So I'm hoping my CELTA which is a level 5 qualification, a years teaching experience, multiple writing, admin, sales and marketing jobs, work experience, having my own small clothing business will count as alternative proof I'm capable and diligent enough...
    I think the best thing to do is email the unis and find out what they think of you- the worst they can say is no, but most universities will advise you on what you could do to be suitable if they wouldn't consider you right now.

Good Luck!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 4, 2018
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.