Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Uni Advice ? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So long story short, didn't get the predicted grades for Medicine and also didn't have the work exp to apply this year (currently in yr 13) , so the plan atm is to have a gap year, hopefully get the grades in summer for uni and apply this time, if i dont get say AAA was considering doing a foundation year in medicine, in my gap year i have potentially got a job call taking with London Ambulance Service, so yeah any advice for uni, gap year, etc ... ?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by cooper1407)
    So long story short, didn't get the predicted grades for Medicine and also didn't have the work exp to apply this year (currently in yr 13) , so the plan atm is to have a gap year, hopefully get the grades in summer for uni and apply this time, if i dont get say AAA was considering doing a foundation year in medicine, in my gap year i have potentially got a job call taking with London Ambulance Service, so yeah any advice for uni, gap year, etc ... ?
    Your priority is t get the actual grades. Everything after that you can remedy, experience , UKcat etc. GAP years tend to be for specific students and nt just ones with lower grades so you will have to d your research. I think there are only 11 foundation degrees and many of those will not be open to you, so you will need to do your research.

Focus on getting the best grades you can.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    When I was in year 13 I didn't get into medical school due to poor AS grades and not enough work experience but as mentioned above I can't stress how important it is to concentrate on getting your grades right now! Re-sitting your A-levels makes your gap year less flexible and your choice of which universities you can apply to is reduced significantly as most require you to have sat your A-levels within a 2 year period.

So my advice would be get your AAA grades and once the exams are out of the way start planning what you can do to strengthen your application - more work experience, higher UKCAT, better personal statement, applying to your strengths (some medical schools have a scoring system for interview cut offs and give almost a guaranteed interview to those who have already achieved grades - I definitely used this to my full advantage!)

Task UEA Official UG Rep

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice guys sorry for replying so late !!! so realistically i think three A's isnt gonna happen in summer just because i havent put in enough work over the two years of alevels, i still think theres quite a good chance of coming out with ABB with the B's being in Biology and Chem, but obviously this does reduce my options quite a lot, been thinking of looking into some unis with widening access requirements but tbh dont know what the best path is, so many different options .........

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 5, 2018
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.